Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Hairybiped, Dec 26, 2009.

1. Hairybiped macrumors newbie

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

I closed up my graphics company recently (still working, but solo) and have a bunch of equipment. seems unnecessary to have my old server sitting 6 inches away from my workstation...not to mention the other computers. i'm wondering if i should just sell everything and start with a new machine, or if i can put something together from what i have.

I currently have:
    1. Mac Pro 3.0 dual xeon
    8 gigs ram
    1 intel 1 TB, and 2 hitchi 500 gb hard drive
    running mac 10.4 server

2. Mac Pro 2.66 dual xeon
    8 gigs ram
    1 500 gb hitachi, and 2 250 gb WD hard drives
    running mac 10.4

3. Powermac G5 Quadcore 2.5
    4 gigs ram and 2 hard drives

4. (2) powermac G5 Dualcore 2.0 machines
    each with 2 gigs ram

5. a mac mini duo 1.83

6. WD Velociraptor 300 gb (still in box)

7. a couple of firewire 800 lacie externals i used for backups

8. macbook pro 2.5 intel duo (the only computer i need to keep)

90% of my work is done in photoshop/illustrator/inDesign. no games...very little video editing and a large music library that i'm always accessing.

about 20% of the time, i work from a room outside of the office (airport network) from my laptop. would it be possible to have a single tower that i worked from, but was able to access my data from the laptop as well?

again, thanks in advance for your time.

2. Repo macrumors 6502a

Repo

For the tower, I would take note of all available internal components, and make the best configuration you can. Any left over computers/parts you have you can either sell or give away as post Christmas presents.

As for your Photoshop, etc. work and your large iTunes library, perhaps one of the external drives would come in use.

3. ildondeigiocchi macrumors 6502a

ildondeigiocchi

I would keep the 3.0GHZ Mac Pro and sell the lower-clocked one along with your Power Mac G5. Then with the money you make you can either buy another Macbook Pro and sell the old one or just keep it for personal use. I would use it to upgrade the internals of the mac pro. Also you can use remote access on your laptop to access the files on your Mac Pro. Check out the tutorials on Apple's website or visit youtube.