Suing Facebook & Blockbuster Over Movie Rentals

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by mscriv, Nov 9, 2009.

1. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Interesting.... I'm in trouble if Facebook starts posting my purchases at fast food restaurants. :D

Link to Full Story

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I'll beat you, I promise.

3. Skuman macrumors member

What is more incredible is that there is a Video Privacy Protection Act http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_Privacy_Protection_Act

Anyway, both Blockbuster and Facebook have to be sharing information with each other to work out which Facebook page to put information. I wonder how many other companies Facebook is sharing info with.

4. william sire macrumors regular

william sire

Don’t you have to set that up on your Blockbuster account. I mean every website has a Facebook icon on it anymore. That is what it does. The woman had to have clicked that icon and set that up.

5. iWoz macrumors 6502a

iWoz

funny how everyone has to sue for money, Instead of just addressing the issue.

tut tut

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Wirelessly posted (Nokia 5800 Tube XpressMusic : Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.4; U; Series60/5.0 Nokia5800d-1/21.0.101; Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 ) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413)

Well people should certainly sue for money. Corporations don't have morals. What they have is a desire to be profitable. I'm not trying to say that corporations are all evil. Not at all. However, they exist to make money for shareholders, and if money is all a corporation understands, then the punishment should hit them in a way that's comprehendible.

7. Angelo95210 macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

I have been kind of trapped like this as well with the former Skype TV (don't remember the name, but it's same creators). It's really intrusive but happily I noticed that quickly enough.

I thing this woman is totally right !

8. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

I’m confused. What did Blockbuster do? Ask for her e-mail address then link that with her Facebook account? Then, Facebook created an automated post describing what she rented?

If she used Facebook Connect to sign-in to Blockbuster, it’s her fault. But if it’s the other way around, wow get em’.

9. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

There is an icon on the Blockbuster website linking you to their Facebook profile, but there isn't any Facebook Connect link.

10. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Facebook requires that you press Allow to let an external site post updates to your facebook. She must have pressed it accidentally at some point. She'll almost certainly lose this lawsuit; or be paid off.

11. savoirfaire macrumors 6502

savoirfaire

Money talks, right?

12. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Now those bedroom items are something you'd likely be embarrassed over.

Purchased today, 1 fuzzy pink whip, 1 blue adult diaper, 1 pacifier...