Suit Combinations: Job Interview

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by wvuwhat, May 11, 2009.

1. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

Alright, as a follow up to my graduation thread, I now have a few interviews coming up in the following weeks with some companies. I will be going in for retail management, product management, marketing manager, and advertising agency job T.B.D. Pretty diverse group there. I'm heading to Brooks Brothers, Nordstrom, and/or Jos. A Bank tomorrow. I want to like the Jos suits, but I know I'll probably fall in love with Brooks, but not the pricetag.

I've been reading up, asking friends, etc. on what their thoughts on suits are. I'm a pretty large guy. Big shoulders, 6'2", 255 lbs., 38"/40" waist depending on manufacturer, 17 1/2" neck, 32" inseam.

I'm sold on navy. I think that'll be the color I go with, maybe with thin pinstripes. I'm thinking single breasted with a medium lapel. Definitely going with a double slit back, not even thinking about a single vent in the back.

Where I really need help is with shirts and ties. I think with the jobs I'm looking at I won't really have to wear a jacket at all times, so the shirts and ties are really more important. I think I'm going to start out with 1 suit jacket, 2 pairs of pants, 4 shirts, and either 2 or 4 ties depending on price.

What, in your opinion, goes well with a navy suit, regarding shirts and ties. I was told never to wear red to an interview and that blue was always a good bet, but I don't want to overdo it with the blue. I'm honestly not the most stylish guy. I'm a t-shirt or polo with jeans and flip flops type of person. I'm seriously considering calling up a few of my homosexual friends and see if they'd be willing to go with this straight guy to help me out.

So in the end. I'm looking at entry level management positions with bigger companies in the area (Time Warner, Wegmans, AOL, etc.). What would be your suggestions?

2. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

1. Go to a reputable tailor.
    2. Tell him what you just told us.

3. wvuwhat thread starter macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

I intend to do that. I was just seeing if anyone had personal experience with interviewing grads. Also, figured this site would be a little more "hip" than the probable 60 year old tailor. Just trying to cover all bases. Thanks for the advice.

4. MotleyPete macrumors regular

You can't fail with shades, a bathrobe and jellies.

5. rhsgolfer33 macrumors 6502a

If you go Navy I say no pinstripes. If you're only going to have one suit, I wouldn't get the pinstripes. If you ever want to wear a shirt with a pattern the pinstripes will probably clash.

Think about how many buttons you want. I prefer two, but a lot of people like 3. I think 2 is "younger" looking.

I'd also say hold off on buying so many shirts and ties until you know what your job will actually require. Buy two shirts and two ties for now, otherwise you're liable to spend $3k on shirts, ties, and a suit that you won't have to wear because all you need is a polo shirt and khakis. A lot of offices don't require suits any more, especially if you're not dealing with clients. As in-house management type you might never wear one.

Personally, I'd probably go with Jos A Bank. There suits look good, they're priced decently, and they'll last plenty long. People always buy suits thinking they'll wear them 10 years from now. That probably won't happen, not unless you want to look like the old guy wearing 10 year old suits that aren't anywhere near in style anymore. Suit style doesn't change that fast, but come on, in 10 years you'll have purchased quite a few more suits if that's what you wear at work. To be honest though, I probably wouldn't buy a suit from any of those places, its easy to find a discount suit retailer if you live in the city that sells some pretty good brands; you'll probably get a better deal. But I suppose if the name on the suit really matters, then Nordstrom or a Brooks Brothers store would be alright (although for the price that Brooks Brothers gets for a suit I'd probably just have a local tailor make me a suit).

Get two pairs of pants with your suit no question. Pay extra for it, pants wear out way faster than the jacket. Eventhough you won't keep it for 10 years, if you want 3 out of it and you wear it often, get an extra pair of pants if possible.

I'd probably get a white shirt, maybe even two to be honest. I'd probably pick up a lighter blue tie with some pattern, maybe a darker blue and white tie as well. Don't pay full price for ties either, its super easy to find nice ties at places like Nordstrom Rack or Loehmans for under $20. I wouldn't pay full price for shirts either. Again, I get most of mine at Loehmans and Nordstrom Rack for under $40.

Be sure to get a decent belt and shoes as well. Nothing says I'm sloppy like unshined shoes and no belt or a crappy belt.

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Wear a plain white shirt to your interview. That, or a plain light blue shirt. You can wear any tie, with any pattern, if you wear either shirt. However, if all you have are ties with patterns, the shirt pattern may not go with the tie, and neither a patterned tie or shirt may go with a pinstripe suit.

A lot of people have pinstripe suits in their closet, but all they have to go with it are funky ties and shirts. Shirts with great lines and colours are great if you aren't wearing a suit, but once you do, it may not go together. You should own a bit of each, depending on how often you wear a suit. However, plain white or blue shirts never look out of place, so it's not a bad thing to own.

Get a solid navy blue suit. You can wear a patterned shirt with it, and it'll won't be too much for the eyes to take.

P.S.: I don't know dick about suits. :p Just use a bit of sense, and you can't fail.

P.P.S.: Indochino, and Custom Suits and Shirts.

I've only bought a coat from Indochino (no suits yet), but my coat is really beautiful, and the material is fabulous. I'm definitely getting a suit from them next time I need one.

7. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

Gianni Campagna, Hugo Boss or Armani.

Black suit, white dress shirt. If you need a tie, go with something that's got a nice pattern but isn't overpowering. Power ties are not well suited to 99% of job interviews. And always match your socks to your suit, not to your shoes. Be sure and polish the heels on your shoes also - women especially notice if you don't.

I had a Givenchy suit, and it was one of the nicest ones I've ever had but I don't think there's a Givenchy anywhere outside of Paris and Rodeo Drive..

8. bartelby macrumors Core

Zoot suit, white jacket with side vents. Five inches long...

;):)

9. Fake Hipster macrumors member

My grad gift was a suit from Brooks Brothers. I went with a navy blue, 2 button suit. Go with something basic for now. If you have the money, buy quality like Brooks Brothers.

But don't buy too many nice shirts/ties. For my first job I had two suits and 4 shirts and I just alternated everyday (and wore my one pair of shoes almost through the sole).

10. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

A guy I went to high school with founded IndoChino, and I'm really happy to see other people recommending them (I was going to till I saw your post).

Which coat did you get? I'm really digging the Belgian Pilot Jacket and the Night Watch Trench Coat, but I'd need to see the latter in person before ordering... it looks a little funny in the pictures, imo.

11. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Just buy one suit for now (along with one shirt, one tie, one pair of pants, etc) and wait until you get hired and find out what the dress code is. It would be silly to spend hundreds of dollars on formal clothes to end up getting a job where shorts and a t-shirt is an acceptable dress code ;)

And yes, there are office jobs where that is the case, I interviewed with a company that basically had "don't come to work naked, and even if you do, we probably won't fire you" dress code. I didn't end up taking that job, but my current job allows jeans and a polo. I'm glad I didn't blow my savings on fancy suits.

12. rhsgolfer33 macrumors 6502a

Tons of offices are going towards the casual thing. Even the big accounting firms don't require suits (at least on days when you're in the office, if you're on an audit it might be different depending on who you're auditing). Its all about business casual baby, dress pants and a dress shirt is a hell of a lot cheaper than buying a bunch of suits. Even the law firm I worked had was pretty relaxed, we had attorneys coming to work in shorts as long as they had no court appearance.

13. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

My theory is that you'll perform better when you're more comfortable. I had a summer internship with a business formal dress code, and having to wear a long sleeve dress shirt with a tie while it's so bloody hot outside that Satan would be complaining about the heat is not comfortable. So I love the relaxed dress code at my job.

I still wear slacks a couple days a week just since I only have so many pairs of jeans and I can go longer without doing laundry that way (I'm lazy :D) but it's definitely nice having jeans as an option

14. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

yeah this is kind of a different application but - at my previous shop (working as a mechanic.. so not really wearing a suit)

i had 3 pairs of dickies, and 5 shirts, 1 jacket, 1 thermal and 3 pairs of shoes.

over the past 3 years i went through only 2 pairs of shoes, 2 shirts and the thermal.

thankfully the job i have now requires you to wear their 'Cam Automotive' overshirt - so i don't have to worry about ruining clothes (not to say i'd ever wear my street clothes to work)

if you feel like doing laundry you won't need a lot of clothes. and yeah i'd go with white/light blue.

15. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

take a look at the web sites for the stores you and others are mentioning and you'll get a good idea of what type of shirts and ties to wear with the different suits

16. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

No matter where you buy your suit, get it tailored to fit you properly. Since you have your measurements, that's a good start.
    You should google for specifics on getting a good fitting suit. I remember seeing a GQ guide a couple of years back on the web. Don't know much about their fashion sense, but it's a place to start.