Suit up!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by eric/, Apr 20, 2013.

1. eric/ Guest

eric/

Best place to get a suit? Go.

I'm looking to buy another suit. But I'm not sure where to shop for something that's quality. Any ideas? Budget is probably $600 or less.

2. elistan macrumors 6502a

Consignment store. I got a $2500 Prada suit, shirt, shoes and tie for about $600 at one. Maybe I was lucky, but it fit me perfectly.

3. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

4. eric/ thread starter Guest

eric/

Nothing at the thrift store :/

5. Toltepeceno Suspended

Toltepeceno

Mens wearhouse, because George Zimmer (at least used to) roast marshmallows with his employees.

"I'm George Zimmer of the Men's wearhouse, why did I get together and make s'mores with the crew?" "So I could make this sappy commercial today".

6. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

I just go to Jos A Bank. Nothing super fancy, but when you catch the sales right you can get a decent suit for under $200. I don't wear suits very often, but when I do I want it to be fairly comfortable and for me those Men's Warehouse $99 specials didn't cut it. More often than not they were pretty rough feeling.

7. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I got two tailored Kenneth Cole suits with shirts for about $600 from Men's wear house.

8. eric/ thread starter Guest

eric/

Are they all made in China/Vietnam?

9. Ice-Cube macrumors 6502a

Ice-Cube

Indochino? I find their prices pretty affordable. Made a couple of shirts and suits from them before and the quality is quite good.

http://www.indochino.com/

10. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Just a suggestion...whatever suit you buy from whatever vendor...unless it's a bespoke suit take it to a good taylor for some final fitting, personal fitting for your particular body shape. It makes an off the rack suit look much more like a bespoke suit.

11. PigDog macrumors member

Ebay could be a good source too, I have purchased a few nice shirts at very low prices.

Yes a suit is quite different but I guess checking the prices does not hurt.

12. kuhtang macrumors regular

Suit Supply if you're looking for a B&M. Highly recommend. Mid-level suit quality for sub $500.

Indochino and other such MTM retailers (ie. Tailor4Less, Indochino, etc) can be hit and miss. Having some kind of template from a previously bought well fitting suit helps a lot.

13. eric/ thread starter Guest

eric/

Oh definitely. I was looking for something that is quality, that's going to last. I bought a suit, made in Vietnam from Men's Warehouse and it has nearly fallen apart in some aspects. It's garbage.

14. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

Just go out and look around at any decent department store. They usually have some pretty good sales. I have always bought my suits at Herberger's which is a regional department store in my area. The quality is decent for the price. I'm not sure what stores are in your area, but just take part of a day and do some looking around.

15. eric/ thread starter Guest

eric/

Thanks. I know they have stuff at Macy's or places like that, but I'm a little worried about the quality. Area wise, either Columbus or Cleveland.

16. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

When Macys go on sale, you can have a Calvin Klein suit for $200. Hugo Boss can be had for under $500. I have a couple Hugo Boss suits and they last a while.

17. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

Mine says Mexico

18. Grey Beard macrumors 65816

Grey Beard

Here you are. Minimal maintenance, just a spot of oil and should last forever. Recommended by the OZ fashionistas.

KGB

Attached Files:

19. RoastingPig macrumors 68000

RoastingPig

i got swagged up at a burlington coat factory once

20. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Macy's or Dillards are good places to look. I've found Ralph Lauren and Calvin Klein suits there for as little as $280. They have tailors as well that will mark them and tailor them for you for around $20.

21. WoodNUFC, Apr 22, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2013

WoodNUFC macrumors 6502a

WoodNUFC

What about J Crew? Their suits have been pretty well reviewed. I know the Ludlow will be near the top of your price range, but the jackets are canvassed (Well, half I'd suppose). I've read that you might be able to get a 15% student discount (if that applies to your situation).

22. eric/ thread starter Guest

eric/

Idk if you get the discount on the suit. I've looked there, but I wanted to see if there were any better options.

23. Xavier macrumors 68020

I got a few suits at Jos A Bank on one of their deals. Nice cut and quick turn around on tailoring. It is hard to find a well fitting slim cut suit.

24. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

If you are ever in southern cal, check out this place. Excellent prices and service:

http://www.hollywoodsuits.com/

I know it doesn't really help you, as it looks like you are in Ohio.

25. eric/ thread starter Guest

eric/

Eh, it may help somebody else viewing the thread. :)