Suitable ADSL for AEBS

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by KettyKrueger, Aug 13, 2010.

1. KettyKrueger macrumors 6502

KettyKrueger

Hi all,

In my endless search for the perfect model/router, all roads lead back to the AEBS. I've already had 2 of these puppies and whilst I liked them, it annoyed me that it didn't have a modem built-in.

I have spent a lot of time looking for an all-in-one modem/router with gigabit ethernet/simultaneous dual band 'n'/USB port for HDD or printers and there is no such thing....well, no such thing that is highly praised.

The new Belkin Play Max modem/routers are interesting but Belkin's main focus seems to be the silly little apps. In any case, it has got horrid reviews, mainly slated for it's performance, it's slow!

Something has got to give. I'm bored of looking now and I think I'm going to go back to the trusty AEBS. Thing is, a need a suitable modem to go with it.

I have used my old, old, old Netgear modem/router in the past but I think it's time to get rid of it.

I've seen this modem, which looks promising. Can anyone confirm if this is suitable? Is it lacking anything obvious, perhaps something my ageing Netgear DG834 has?

EDIT: or perhaps this one

Anyways, I'm open to suggests, please chip in.

Thanks, KK

2. Alfihar macrumors member

I use my Airport Extreme with an old Netgear DG834G, it's been working very well for me for quite a long time.

Did you know you can access a hidden page on the DG834 to set it to bridge mode so that the AEBS can handle pretty much everything, the Netgear just acts as a modem. Then you just set the AEBS to connect using PPPoE and enter your ISP's login info. You can even see the status of the connection and connect/disconnect from the Airport menu on your Mac.

I think the page is
    http://192.168.0.1/setup.cgi?next_file=mode.htm

You will lose all the modem/routers settings if you switch to that mode so you'll need to make a note of things like the connection details. To get out of that mode you have to reset the modem/router.

3. KettyKrueger thread starter macrumors 6502

KettyKrueger

Thanks. Yeah I did that before but I thought I could use a smaller, more compact modem as the DG834 is a bit clunky. It's an option though. But if I can get a modem for £20 or thereabouts, I think I'd rather do that.

4. KettyKrueger thread starter macrumors 6502

KettyKrueger