Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vukmon

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 18, 2013
As a desktop user I finally decided to move on laptop territory. My choice is upcoming Haswell rMBP. Since we all know rMBP price, my current concern is how to properly protect my future laptop.

To make it easier, I will make list of questions:
1. Do you use your laptop while still sits in case. If yes, what kind of bag/case you recommend?
2. Is it harmful to use laptop in bag/case?
3. Do you use case or bag? Write down pros/cons
4. Do you carry things with your laptop (charger, some cables, mice...)
5. What type of material is best: leather, plastic, metal....
6. Finally, what I should request in case/bag for best protection (in case that bag/case drops on floor)?

Tnx everyone for reading & answering :)

alex0002

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2013
New Zealand
I'm not sure if you've seen it, but there's a big thread on bags here:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1391592/

> 1. Do you use your laptop while still sits in case. If yes, what kind of bag/case you recommend?
No, I take it out of the bag.

> 2. Is it harmful to use laptop in bag/case?
Probably o.k. for short periods, but in some cases it might obstruct the air flow/cooling.

> 3. Do you use case or bag? Write down pros/cons
Bag, but the one I'm using isn't the right size, so still looking for the best solution for my cMBP.

> 4. Do you carry things with your laptop (charger, some cables, mice...)
Sometimes charger and mouse. Perhaps ethernet patch cable or USB.

> 5. What type of material is best: leather, plastic, metal....
I prefer a cloth/leather type material, but if you are doing a lot of travel and your macbook might travel with check in luggage or in aircraft overhead lockers, perhaps some sort of hard case is better.

> 6. Finally, what I should request in case/bag for best protection (in case that bag/case drops on floor)?
Not sure, but feedback from users that have actually had their macbook drop to the floor (in it's case) might be more useful than claims from the bag makers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.