Suitable SSD for a 2011 MacBook Pro 13" i7

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bluntmike, Oct 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluntmike macrumors newbie

hey all,

I've had 2 different SSD's in my MBP so far and neither have worked.

1) OWC Mercury Electra SATA6G SSD - This seemed to work like a charm but every hour or so, my MB would hang for around 30-45 seconds - literally every hour. I returned it for a refund.

2) ADATA SSD S510 SATA6G SSD - Followed the same steps as I did above, used "SuperDuper" to clone the drive - switched on the notebook but the apple sign went to a folder with a question mark and then a no entry sign. I wiped and cloned it again (and a third time), all 3 times I booted into recovery and did a repair files and permissions. While doing so the MBP was running incredibly slow. Nothing worked it would not boot into Lion. I tried installing Snow Leopard from the install DVD and this worked but it was running like it had a 500RPM hard drive in it, totally un-usable.

Has anyone successfully installed a SATA6 SSD into their 2011 MBP 13"?

2. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

My first and only SSD I have ever used is my Intel X-25 SSD. Best SSD ever! Never hard any problems with it and it's been running Snow Leopard ever since Dec 2010. Try giving the new Intels a try. I think their new 510 series have SATA III capabilities for you.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

There's a number of threads dealing with a suitable SSD. Please use the search facility.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.