Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcallyam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2009
Hi,
Does the new macbook pro (summer 2009) still have the aluminium induced WIFI reception problems (using the plasic case MB as a comparison) or have Apple solved this by their changing of the location of the internal antenna?
Thanks,
Al

Vanarak19

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2008
my 13"MBP with SD has terrible reception, leopard or snow leopard.

My 15" pre-SD MBP had much better reception.

I wonder why, both were UMBP.

RKpro

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2008
I thought the unibody MBPs had their antennas just below the monitor under the MacBook Pro label.
In any case, my late 2008 unibody model gets the best reception of any laptop I've ever had. My G router is in the basement, and I'm on the second floor and get full bars. And I even have 3 out of 4 bars from my neighbors unencrypted N router which is across the street from me.

dlewis23

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
I thought the unibody MBPs had their antennas just below the monitor under the MacBook Pro label.
In any case, my late 2008 unibody model gets the best reception of any laptop I've ever had. My G router is in the basement, and I'm on the second floor and get full bars. And I even have 3 out of 4 bars from my neighbors unencrypted N router which is across the street from me.

They do. There is black plastic strip there and that is where the antenna is. I have no wifi problems with my macbook pro, and get a better reception then the plastic HP I have next to it.

mcallyam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2009
oh ok, maybe I was wrong on the antenna moving but its strange, you guys seem to find the wireless alright, totally different from what I've read from others, so maybe they have moved it for different releases to try and see where it picks up the most signal :confused:

Anyway I think my faith in the MBP has been somewhat restored by your experiences, so I might take the plunge, I guess I can always buy an external usb card but that kinda ruins the beauty of it :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.