Summer Contracts / iPhone WWDC

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SaturnStrobe, Jun 3, 2011.

1. SaturnStrobe macrumors member

Dammit, Why wont it let me add a poll in this post? sorry folks

[poll]If your contract is up this summer and there is no mention of a new iPhone at WWDC will you switch to Android?,yes,no[/poll]

My contract is up this summer and my iPhone is starting to die as I dont have an Iphone 4.

I love apple products, I have a macbook and I'm about to purchase an iMac but I'm not such a fanboy that I wont switch if I feel they are doing wrong by us and being a bit too coy about it.

I dont mind if they dont release it at WWDC because I dont think they will but they should at least tell us when to expect it and put a date on it.

I know this has been done to death but wanted the poll done so let the opinions commence.

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

[​IMG]

3. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (iPhone; Opera Mini/6.13548/24.871; U; en) Presto/2.5.25 Version/10.54)

Uh... :eek: no?

4. SaturnStrobe thread starter macrumors member

can you at least tell me whats so wrong with that sentence saving107 instead of posting "hilarious" pictures

5. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (iPhone; Opera Mini/6.13548/24.871; U; en) Presto/2.5.25 Version/10.54)

Since when does Apple ever tell us to "expect" anything??? Such as the next iPhone...

6. simply stunning macrumors regular

I think what he is getting at is that why would a company announce a product months ahead of time. That would halt all sales of it's current product, as everyone would just be waiting to buy the new one. Apple has never (as far as I know) announced an updated prouduct more than a few weeks before it is released.

EDIT: by product I mean Hardware not software.

7. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Remember what Apple did to the people that leak their products or use them the way that apple doesn't like?

Gizmodo?
    The boy who sold iPhone 4 prototype to Gizmodo?
    Boy who sold iPhone 4 white parts?

Apple wants people to speculate and create hypes. Leaking these informations would hurt their business. Most importantly, these copy cats will use these leaks to copy.

8. SaturnStrobe thread starter macrumors member

Yeh i guess they dont thats fair enough, thats why I asked for an opinion instead of just a completely unfunny picture without a comment.

I just think if they dont mention anything about it at WWDC i dont want to be waiting until spetember to find out wether it will be a new design or an upgraded 4

9. the.sheepdog macrumors regular

the.sheepdog

This whole big wide forum is an apple forum. We like apple products.

We like the iPhone products also. Call us silly that way.

Most of us are smarter than a box of rocks (I have two Bachelors degree's in Electronics and theory) and have seen or read about the Android phones.

I have decided to stay with the Apple product. That is my choice.

so the answer would be "no" to your question.

10. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Other than first generation products like the: Apple TV, Time Capsule, MacBook Air, iPhone and iPad, Apple has never announced a newer version of its current product 3 months in advance.

Why are first generation product the exception, because they don't have to worry about cannibalizing current generation sales and that time frame from being announced in advance to being released is used for generating hype, but when it comes time for a refresh that time frame shrinks.

When HP Palm announced its new Web OS phones and tablet back in February, I was generally excited, but 4 months has passed and still no products on the market, needless to say I have lost interest. You gain nothing now (with the current market) from announcing something that won't be available until a far later date.

The short answer

11. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

That was his opinion. ;)

Anyway, they won't mention the iPhone 5, but as long as your phone still works try to stay on until September. Because at this point we can expect either a big external upgrade or no external upgrade, but we are sure that internally there will be a huge upgrade (A5 chip and better camera).
    However, if you feel the urge then go for the iPhone 4, just don't kick yourself when the iPhone 5 comes out in 3 months.

12. SaturnStrobe thread starter macrumors member

Yes, but because the cycle time for the iPhone is passing its beyond just creating hype and instead its uncertainty I feel, people have phone contracts that come to an end with a lot having contracts expire at the time of a usual iPhone release including myself

I have a degree in Electronic Engineering as well but I dont see what that has to do with anything here apart from you acting like you are better than people, congratulations

Is your contract up in the summer as well? if its not then your not getting my point but if it is what are you going to do contract wise?

13. SaturnStrobe thread starter macrumors member

Thanks saving107, thats all I wanted, a decent reply and now I can see that they clearly aren't going to do that

If its not announced my options would either be to but an iPhone 4 and sell it when the new iPhone comes out and lose some money buying the new one or get a samsung galaxy s2 which everyone must admit is quite good looking, I would need to get my hands on it though and see if it feels good to use.

What do people think about those options or does anyone have a better idea, basically my iPhone right now is on its last legs, I give it a month as it really is broke

14. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

My contract was up in May. I'm holding onto my 3GS until the next one comes out, regardless if its June, July, August or later than that. No way I'm getting a 4. I can see some perks to WP7 and Android, but WP7 being in its infancy and Android still being too buggy for my liking, I'll sit tight till Apple gives the go-ahead.

15. pyro008 macrumors 6502

This logic is a huge failure. First of all, basic economics can tell you that iphone4 sales will not "halt", they will go down, unless Apple lowers their price to the new equilibrium between supply and demand. I know, I know. Lowering the price of a 1 year old phone sounds pretty ridiculous right?

And if this did magically stop all iPhone4 sales, where do you think those would go? Straight into iPhone5 sales. They are essentially deferring their revenues. Or are you under the impression that someone who is going to buy an iPhone4 right now is going to upgrade it in 3 months again?