Summer iPhone Announcement

KieranDotW

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2012
Canada
After the iPhone remains (not surprisingly) unannounced after today's WWDC Keynote, do you think there's any chance we'll see a summer announcement/release at all (as was rumored earlier)? Or is September the soonest we'll see anything?

stuffradio

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
After the iPhone remains (not surprisingly) unannounced after today's WWDC Keynote, do you think there's any chance we'll see a summer announcement/release at all (as was rumored earlier)? Or is September the soonest we'll see anything?
Probably September will be when the event happens.

AaronM5670

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2012
London
I reckon September or sometime in autumn - if you look at previous events, I'd say September (happened 2012, 2013) for a new iPhone and October (also happened 2012, 2013) for new Macs and iPad Air 2.

Nandifix

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2012
I reckon September or sometime in autumn - if you look at previous events, I'd say September (happened 2012, 2013) for a new iPhone and October (also happened 2012, 2013) for new Macs and iPad Air 2.
I would agree in the past but iOS and OS X now are linked so heavily that they must surely both launch at the same time. Hopefully in September.

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Feb 4, 2009
Northern District NY
I would agree in the past but iOS and OS X now are linked so heavily that they must surely both launch at the same time. Hopefully in September.
Eh I feel like the iPhone 5s is still fresh in peoples minds...its not really something the majority are "sick of" already. Just release iOS 7.5 to get rid of the lame little glitches, and maybe even actually support AirDrop between iOS and OS X...that always bothered me.

joeblow7777

macrumors 603
Sep 7, 2010
Okay, so this question is probably not going to go over well here, but do people ever just focus on enjoying what they have instead of anticipating and counting the days until the next thing, which they'll only enjoy for about a month before counting down 'till the next, next thing?

localboy28

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
Okay, so this question is probably not going to go over well here, but do people ever just focus on enjoying what they have instead of anticipating and counting the days until the next thing, which they'll only enjoy for about a month before counting down 'till the next, next thing?

You can do both

localboy28

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
I'm not entirely sure that you can. It's like the difference between being placated and actually being satisfied. When you're satisfied you don't anxiously await the next thing.

You don't? Most people here do
It's like kids you like your current one but can't wait for the new one to arrive.

KieranDotW

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2012
Canada
I'm actually asking because I'm in a specific situation where I'll be moving to the US in August and won't be able to use my current phone down there (it's locked to my current carrier and I'm not about to pay $150+ to unlock it with 2 months left in my contract). I was hoping the iPhone 6 would be announced before I move so I would have a phone to use for the first couple months I'm living there. I guess I'll just be phoneless till September/October.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
The only way the iPhone would be released in the summer is if Apple moves it's iOS events back to February/March like it did before iOS 5.

joeblow7777

macrumors 603
Sep 7, 2010
You don't? Most people here do
It's like kids you like your current one but can't wait for the new one to arrive.
Do you sell or toss aside your old kids as soon as the new one is born? Because that's what most people will do with the phones that a year earlier they couldn't wait for.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
Some just like new tech. I know I do. Even if I'm not planning on buying.

mtneer

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2012
It is just self selective nature of a fan forum. The kind of people you are thinking about are going about their lives, not knowing, not caring about WWDC and whatever that goes on in Cupertino. They just use what they have and go about their lives. This is a fan forum and you will get a huge self selection of people who obsess over every detail and anticipate every little release.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I'm actually asking because I'm in a specific situation where I'll be moving to the US in August and won't be able to use my current phone down there (it's locked to my current carrier and I'm not about to pay $150+ to unlock it with 2 months left in my contract). I was hoping the iPhone 6 would be announced before I move so I would have a phone to use for the first couple months I'm living there. I guess I'll just be phoneless till September/October.
I am afraid that Apple is not going to adjust its schedule for your moving habits.

itsmemuffins

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
Did you not watch the keynote? They gave us a big hint when the next iPhone will be announced.

Here's the big hint:

iOS 8 available in the Autumn or fall for our American brothers and sisters.;)

stuffradio

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
My current phone is 4 years old. I think I have done a good job of just focusing on enjoying what I have.

rockitdog

macrumors 68020
Mar 25, 2013
As long as they announce something by Sept 21, I guess it can be considered a summer announcement. :D

stuffradio

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
As long as they announce something by Sept 21, I guess it can be considered a summer announcement. :D
Apple doesn't know how to tell time though. It's kind of worrying. Apple said they would release iTunes Radio internationally in a bunch of countries in early 2014, and it's the middle of 2014 and they only launched in Australia.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.