Summer Workout/Weight Loss Plan

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by RudyGrow, Jun 6, 2010.

1. RudyGrow macrumors regular

So basically I'm using my summer wisely and I will be trying to lose my extra pounds, but gain muscle in my arms and legs. Right now, I am 16 years old, 6ft tall and weight approx 195 lbs. I want to get down under 170. At the moment, here is what I have for a plan:

- For 20 minutes every morning, from Monday to Friday, an inclined jog/sprint on my treadmill, with the incline going up 1% every day (start at 5%)
    - On Saturday morning, a practice Beep Test, as my school tests it every semester.
    - Sunday will be the day I rest
    - I am drinking ONLY water
    - Breakfast will be a bowl of oatmeal
    - Bringing lunches to work that consist of 75% fruit and 25% protein (sandwich/leftovers)

I am also considering a gym membership. Is this a waste of time and money? Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance : )

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I was on exactly same situation when I was 16. I weighted around 105kg and was ~185cm. Now I'm still 105kg but 196cm but I lost over 15kg within a year or so (gained it back when I grew up).

What I did? Changed my eating habits and exercised frequently. I did eternal life style change, not just a temporal diet. I started to look what I ate and the amount of it. Taking two pieces of bread in the morning instead of three, eating fast food only couple times a month, avoiding snacks and candy etc.

I found exercising being only a small part of it. You can consume ~300 calories with one hour exercise. That 300 calories is one bar of chocolate!

I wouldn't be that harsh for myself as you are. Make long time changes you know you can achieve. I found soda water being a great tool for me. It makes the feeling of hunger to go away.

I've been going to gym for 7 years now and haven't regretted it. Again, make it long time change, not just for few months. When I started going to gym, I was barely able to lift the 20kg stick. Now I can bench press 140kg. I would absolutely get a membership for gym. It's the easiest way to gain some muscle. Nowadays they have all those kinds of gymnastic exercise groups there. I lived 3km away from the gym so always when I could, I jogged there.

Feel free to ask anything, I'm starting my summer exercise as well!

3. bamaworks macrumors 6502

As a fitness enthusiast, weight lifting will help you lose fat significantly if you incorporate it with your cardio/diet regimen. Looking good isn't all about weight, it's about body fat %. Not to mention if you do cardio for 20-30mins (vigorous cardio, mind you, and eventually increase the time) and weight lift often (~3-4days per week) your body will burn significantly more calories and fat as it's trying to rebuild muscle you damaged during the lifting as well as the sheer calories you burned in cardio, not to mention as the more muscle mass you develop the more calories you naturally burn. Just make sure you get enough protein in your diet.

4. RudyGrow thread starter macrumors regular

What are your eating habits?

I'm basically doing all of this to be in shape to play on the school's varsity hockey team. Is this (cardio and eating right) the best way to lose the weight?

Does waking up early actually help (I've heard it before)?

Finally, got any tips/tricks? I would take the soda water tip, but I hate the stuff lol.

5. bamaworks macrumors 6502

There are a lot of powdered drinks in single serve packets that have no sugar and make water a lot easier to drink when you're sick of it. A great read is the "Eat This Not That" series that can help you identify some surprisingly bad for you items and help shave off misc. calories.

And if you're going to play hockey, better get that gym membership :).

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Now or in the past? I used to eat too large quantities. Stomach's size depend on the amount you eat and it controls the feeling of hunger. I used to eat snacks all the time. "This is just one bar of chocolate, it doesn't matter". I dropped most of them off as they are totally useless. Of course you don't have to be snack free all the time but make it so you don't eat them every day (like once or twice a week) and look at the amount.

Try to eat at home as often as possible, that's the only way to control your eating. I've always enjoyed cooking and good food. By good food, I don't mean fries and things like that, in the end they suck. Eating only vegetables ain't good either. Normal home food like spaghetti are the key to the victory but again, look at the amount. You don't need 400 grams of meet in one meal don't you? :rolleyes: Slowly decreasing the amount is the best IMO, it doesn't make you feel hungry (as in hunger you it crap).

In my opinion, yes. As I said, exercise is useless if you still eat more than you consume. To lose weight, you have to look at what you eat. Not eating enough and exercising a lot isn't good either, makes you unhealthy. Eat much (not too much) but healthy food (asian food is great for this)

It doesn't consume any more calories but seeing that you mostly eat crap on nighttime when everything else is closed. You are also inside when it's dark so that may affect it too. When you're outside, you don't have fridge next to you :p

Normal water works as well. Something that has no calories (diet sodas are not count as they are crap too) is good for keeping the hunger away but remember to eat as well, otherwise you may end up in hospital.

Don't be too cruel for yourself. You can eat unhealthy things as well but not so often. In the end, this is a thing between your ears.

7. RudyGrow thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks a ton for your answers :D

I would do both at the same time. I play tons of sports (I'm currently on 2 ball hockey teams, 1 ice hockey team and I golf almost every week), and in the winter I'm on 2 ice hockey teams, which I play at least 4 times a week in total. Getting a gym membership is something that has always been appealing to me.

8. FocusAndEarnIt macrumors 601

FocusAndEarnIt

I haven't read the others posts, but 75% fruit, 25% protein... do it the other way around. Fruit is great, but has lots of carbs & sugar. Protein is what your muscles need. Don't cut out fruit though. Tons of water. You weigh about 200lbs, you need to be drinking half that in ounces (100 ounces). 64 ounces a day is crap.

You need to do more than just 20 minutes on the treadmill if you really want results.

In fact, if you want to get serious, join a gym with group fitness programs. Below is a copy of a post I made on a different thread.

9. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Resistance training is more effective than cardio for healthy weight loss. Cardio (especially running) is catabolic and will result in a net loss of muscle mass. Maximum strength is also extremely important for sports, especially for injury prevention.

10. longball11 macrumors 6502a

longball11

I've been weightlifting for about 13 months now. I have barely changed my weights when doing them. It is very unsatisfying and I continue to struggle with the weights I've been doing.

I have changed physically a bit looking more built than skinny now but still I want to get more toned/ripped.

11. jtmx29 macrumors regular

jtmx29

The best and self-proven action plan for weight loss is as follows:

-Drink water, only water, and lots of it.
    -Exercise, cardio, some weights, anything to get your heart rate going.
    -Cut out all fats, well most of them.
    -Read labels, don't eat fattening foods.
    -No candy, NO ice-cream, no junk.

If you can eat healthy with a low-fat intake, you can loose weight quick. Adjust this to how much weight you are looking to lose.

I was at your weight and followed my diet above and lost about five pounds a week. Once I got to about your target goal I started lifting and taking in more protein.

12. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Wow! What have you been doing at gym? :p

I've been following pretty much my own program for several years now. 3x10 with lighter weights (e.g. 2x20kg in biceps curls) and then 4x5 with heavier weights (for me, 22.5kg in biceps curls). Then, by time to time, switch for the heavier weights and do 3x10 with them and take even heavier for the 4x5. In the beginning, you can go for the heavier pretty often, like once a month at least. When you get more muscle, it's harder. I've been stuck with 20kgs for like 8 months now but they still make my head red so there is no reason to change the weights yet. I find it good because you get some stamina but also some strength and you're not stuck with one weight all the time.

Just my program and there are as many programs as there are people. I've found it to be good for me. Feel free to ask anything

13. turugara macrumors regular

I'm a huge fan of this program and I recommend it to everyone whose looking to get stronger with strength training (aka not purely bodybuilding)

http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/

I personally have followed the routine to the T for the past year and a half. Currently I'm on the SL Advance doing weights well over 2x bodyweight in squats+deadlifts. Following a routine is critical. Just by doing weights with whichever set you feel like that day isn't going to give you the results your looking for. This stuff is a science and a routine thats been proven time and time again is one of the best ways to get started.

My advice would be to make your own decision based on the information available to you. When I started I read a number of different sites and routines and finally settled on stronglift.

It's up to you. Best of luck.

14. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

Most of this has been mentioned, but I thought I would chime in with my thoughts.

1. Drink water, or if you must then flavoured water with sugar-free concentrated juice is fine (e.g. Robinson's). Stay away from fizzy drinks, 100% fruit juice and keep alcohol to a minimum.

2. Do cardio. Intense aerobic exercise is a very very effective way to lost weight. Yes, cardio does involve muscle catabolism but as long as you are not overdoing it, the muscle with continually be replaced by a process called 'protein turnover'. Don't be afraid of cardio because someone tells you you'll lose muscle mass - you won't.

Moreover, the focus should be as much about being healthy as it is about weight loss. Changing attitudes to this effect is needed, as otherwise, people far too easily slip back into old habits. In this respect, cardio is critical as it is by far, the most effective form of physical activity to keep visceral fat (that around the organs) low. In addition, cardio typically utilises some of the largest groups of muscles in your body - quadriceps, hamstrings, calves. By utilising, and building these larger muscles, your body consumes more energy.

3. Couple the cardio with resistance training. Resistance training helps to build muscle and burn fat stored in adipose tissue. Bigger muscles = more energy used by the body = weight loss.

4. Cut out the fat from your diet. Yes fat, not carbohydrates. By all means, don't overdo the carbohydrates, but keep them as the largest food group in your diet - about 60%. Unless you are leading a sedentary lifestyle, your body will use all of the carbohydrate that you consume. Reduce saturated fats as far as possible, to less than 50% of your RDA.

5. Enjoy lean meats, and fish as a good source of protein - essential for building muscle.

15. hollerz macrumors 6502a

hollerz

This is bull. As long as you get plenty of protein in your diet, you won't lose muscle.

16. iOrlando macrumors 68000

im guessing you aren't an avid runner. Strong cardio does eat away at your muscle. In general, it is very difficult to be a long-distance runner and doing weight training.

anyways to the OP, I think at 16, your body is still not completely done growing, so I generally wont go too crazy with workouts/weight training until at least 18-19.

17. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Now it's the best time to do it as your muscles develop faster. Starting it younger than 15 may cause growing issues but after that, you should be fine, as long as you won't go too crazy (start with lower weights and train stamina first and make sure you do the things correctly, then start adding weights).

Of course, this is an opinion question too. Some people say you shouldn't do ANY weightlifting before you hit 20 but others say that after you hit 15, it's the best time to start as your muscles develop a lot faster.

BTW, I started when I was 15 and as I said in my first post, I grew over 10cm! :p

18. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Yes, you will. Not only will you lose muscle mass, without resistance training you could also be losing a valuable opportunity to build bone mass, and then you end up as one of my clients and I have to rehabilitate you. Resistance training is necessary for optimal muscle and bone health. There's also been some new research that excessive endurance activity leads to shortening of the telomeres. Increasing your protein intake won't do anything; if you want to prevent muscle loss from cardio you need resistance training. For ultra-endurance athletes like triathletes, it's recommended to maintain at minimum 600 tonnes of strength training volume per year.

@The OP: don't think of it as your "summer workout plan," it needs to be a "lifestyle plan." Meaningful weight loss and optimal health is a product of a lifetime, not a summer.

19. longball11 macrumors 6502a

longball11

I do all that but I do heavier stuff 3x8.

20. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

This man speaks the truth. There are tons of drinks on this aisle in my grocery store. Most are good tasting and some are infused with protein (e.g. you don't have to eat chicken/etc. if you don't want to).

I weighed more than you.

I have quit red meat (for the time being, I absolutely love it, so as soon as I hit where I'm aiming for, I will no longer abstain).

I was 6'2", about 280. I started walking with my golden retriever and ordering salads without dressing when I'm out. In 3 months, I've lost 25 pounds.

I'm looking to get down to my pre-college weight of 205, at least.

Good luck buddy.