Summerboard Problems.

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by Zwhaler, Oct 22, 2007.

1. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I have just completed my third restore on my iPod... this all started when I messed it up trying to manually remove Summerboard. I restored, JB'd, updated to AppTapp 3, installed Summerboard (not the old one) and it doesn't work. It is on my iPod, but when I select a theme, nothing happens. After restarting, the springboard is the same (same icons, background, and dock).
    I thought that the new summerboard worked with AppTapp3? Or will I have to manually install it again? The main thing that bugged me about manually installing it is that several summerboard themes would not work, installer would tell me that "Summerboard is not installed". Any help is appreciated.

2. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

Man, thats rough. I decided after my second restore (not really a restore since I just copy the disk image back to the ipod) that I wasnt going to use summerboard until they got it fixed. It causes crash after crash for me and Im possitive I had it set up correctly. I would suggest just getting rid of it for the time being, I know that sucks... but at some point you probably want to listen to music on your ipod and not have to resync it a billion times.

Arisian

3. Laurent macrumors regular

Laurent

You should never manually remove Summerboard, that's what I understood the first time I needed to restore my iTouch. The thing is, when you want to install the Alpha version (which was my case), you need to replace /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.SpringBoard.plist. What did I do when I wanted to manually remove Summerboard? That's right, I erased this file which then rendered my iTouch unusable once I reboot it...

Summerboard is nice but I suspect it's the app that makes all the other ones kind of unstable. When my Music Player, Safari and everthing else starts force quiting on themselves, I usually reboot my iPod and everything is back to normal...

4. adamsweeting macrumors regular

Are you guys using the "dim wallpaper" option?

Quite a few people have said that it no longer crashes if you turn that off. I don't have my iPod with me at the moment so I can't test it. But I will do it this evening.

5. yacoub macrumors member

I removed all of the files for the Summerboard 1.1.1 alpha I manually installed (including replacing the one file it replaces because I saved a backup of the stock file "just in case"). Everything's much more stable again.

6. Zwhaler thread starter macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Yep, that is what I did (delete the plist file) and my touch would not "touch" anymore. Thanks for the advice.

7. Laurent macrumors regular

Laurent

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; fr) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3A110a Safari/419.3)

I'll try to turn off the dim option, we'll see what will happen...

8. Zwhaler thread starter macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3A110a Safari/419.3)

Turning off the dim option does nothing, whenever I choose any theme, everything still remains default (even after applying and restarting)

9. adamsweeting macrumors regular

Seems to have worked for me!!! No more crashes now.... and it's been nearly a whole day with no crash, and it was crashing A LOT before. I've been testing it pretty hard too. Opening apps, closing them and then doing it again.

10. Laurent macrumors regular

Laurent

Have you installed Summerboard Alpha? Or you installed the latest Summerboard, which isn't compatible with iTouch yet? I just saw that Summerboard 3.0a11 is available on the latest AppTapp's Installer.app, but I have no idea if it's the same version that is on AppTapp's website nor did I installed it from there (installed it manually).

11. CopyChief macrumors member

Glad I'm not the only one. I screwed this up yesterday, and knew it as soon as I did it that it was a mistake. But after a restore and a re-jailbreak all is good. I'm staying away from SummerBoard. I'm with everyone here that it seemed to make everything unstable, and the extra features were not terribly functional. I love eye candy as much as the next guy, but not at the expense of something "just working".

This exercise did reassure me, though, that it will be easy to restore the touch should I ever need service or feel it necessary to install an Apple update.

12. Zwhaler thread starter macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I've been using the 1 from apptapp, I'll try the one from the link you provided.

13. Laurent macrumors regular

Laurent

Just remember that it's still Alpha... Althought my experience is now MUCH more stable now that I turned off the dim option...

14. Zwhaler thread starter macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Yeah, I tried manually installing it, and I still have the same problem. Even if I choose a theme (I tried with and without dim option) it stays at the default after restarting.