Summerboard themes won't display

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by Davechode, Feb 16, 2008.

1. Davechode macrumors newbie

hey all,

I've searched the forums, and can't find an answer. Hope this isn't too stupid a question, but:

I've got a jailbroken 1.1.3 itouch, and when i load summerboard themes into the /private/var/mobile/Library/SummerBoard/Themes/ folder, they don't appear under themes when I launch smbprefs.

I've tried installing some themes through installer, and they don't work either, but others do. It seems completely random which ones appear with smbprefs and which don't. They're all in the /themes folder, but only a few appear.

any help?

2. cualexander macrumors 6502a

I installed the Smb Theme fix from BigBoss in installer. And that created a symlink to the new directory.

I've downloaded a few themes from installer so far and they all seem to work. Can't say if it works for all of them but I would think so.

3. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Actually you can simply DELETE the old path under 'root' and they will from there in find the 'mobile' directory.

4. theman macrumors 6502a

i'm having this issue too. also, some themes show up, but just don't work.

5. Davechode thread starter macrumors newbie

ntrigue: thanks for the help, but i wasn't sure which file you were talking about, so I didn't take the risk.

Thanks cualexander, your idea worked perfectly, it's all fixed!

6. twynne macrumors 6502a

Hi,

Can you post which repo this fix is on as I've checked BigBoss's and it's not there.

Cheers,

Tom

7. txc macrumors newbie

if themes show up but don't work, make sure SummerBoard is active which it will tell you at the bottom of the SMBPrefs app.

if you can't start SummerBoard, it's a permissions issue. the fix for this is to chmod SpringBoard in the /System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app directory to 755

if SB works and some themes show up and others don't, it's because the directories changed in 1.1.3 and themes that haven't yet been updated aren't aware of the new location.

you can just manually move the themes to the proper directory. they should be in /private/var/mobile/Library/SummerBoard/Themes

i'm not 100% but i think those not updated go to root's Library directory instead.

8. twynne macrumors 6502a

Interesting... on my Touch I don't have Summerboard.app at the location you've specified above. I do have SMBPrefs in /Applications though. And Installer lists Summerboard as installed... just not sure where.

Any ideas?

Oh - and I've tried removing/reinstalling via Installer... made no difference.

9. txc macrumors newbie

sorry, that should be SpringBoard.app, not SummerBoard.app, you need to set the permission on SpringBoard (inside the folder) specifically to 755. that fixed the inactive problem for SummerBoard for me.

10. twynne macrumors 6502a

Hmm... not good for me. SSH'd into the Touch and did a chmod on SpringBoard within SpringBoard.app and the Touch then froze when I tried to restart SpringBoard from within SMBPrefs. Had to force it off and now it's stuck in 'restore' mode. Any ideas how to recover without a full restore? Please tell me that's not the only option. :(

11. twynne macrumors 6502a

Strange... well managed to get it back up and running using Independence (took several disconnects/reconnects before it would leave recovery mode) and now Summerboard works! I can only guess this might have been a result of the jailbreak method used originally.

Thanks for help anyway!

12. txc macrumors newbie

dunno why a chmod would freeze your ipod, but i'm sure it actually fixed the summerboard issue.

13. twynne macrumors 6502a

Who knows... I have my doubts about the whole thing since Jailbreaking.. seems much more unstable than ever before. I'll probably eventually redo it once there's a more solid method.

14. laz305 macrumors regular

ok i'm on 1.1.4 everything is installed and active and opens and runs the dam themes just won't apply, every time spring board resets after i select a theme it does not change just stays the same.