Sun breaks Java ... AGAIN!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Mork, Dec 6, 2009.

1. Mork macrumors 6502

I just installed the 10.6.2 Java update 1 on Dec 5, 2009.

Now, my Java IDE no longer runs. I get an error crash stack. The maker of the Java IDE (Intellij IDEA) also reports other users who cannot use their product after 10.6.2 "upgrade".

Also, my Java 5 installation which I painstakingly installed to fix the problems with the last Java 6 gems from Sun, now has been removed and re-converted in to links to the Java 6 installation!

What is going on here?!!!!

I seem to have no recourse to get these problems fixed. All I can do now is work on Windows.

I love the Mac, but my love is being seriously tested...

Suggestions?

-- M

2. Mork thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry, but the title of this thread should have been that "Apple Breaks Java Again"...

3. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

Since when did Apple start making Java?

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I think the implication is if it worked before the 10.6.2 upgrade then it must have been something Apple did to break it. Steve hates Larry. :D

5. Mork thread starter macrumors 6502

Right.

There were problems also with Apple's "installation" of 1.6 before this latest update as well. Apple gets rid of any Java 5 installations by turning those folders into links pointing to Java 6, which has problems too.

- M

6. dgrizzell macrumors member

dgrizzell

I feel like there is definitely something fishy going on with Java lately. I haven't been able to submit assignments on my university's Blackboard webpage with Safari for the last few weeks. It works OK on Firefox but the appearance seems outdated - almost like its reverting some old version of Java.

Everything Java-related worked fine on Leopard. I've tried reinstalling Java manually to repair any missing or corrupted files. What's the deal with Java and Snow Leopard?

7. Mork thread starter macrumors 6502

Not sure, but there is a Java 5 installation from Leopard out on the Internet. See if you can get that and follow the installation instructions carefully.

I am very disappointed with Apple/Java. Or should I say ... surprised? You'd think that Apple would rock with Java, not cause all these crazy problems.

Do you know if it's possible to install a JDK somewhere on the hard drive, say under ~?

If you could install Java anywhere, then I guess you could just point whatever IDE you're using to that directory and be done with Apple's installation under System, right?

Haven't tried this yet....

-- M