'Sun-Maid Girl' Makeover Sparks Controversy

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by mscriv, Dec 4, 2009.

1. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

From this [​IMG] To this [​IMG]
    It never ceases to amaze what people complain about. Seriously, this is a controversy! :confused:

2. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I wanted to read more about it. Found the article here among other places.

I didn't realize she had a voice (in a commercial) too!

3. mscriv thread starter macrumors 601

mscriv

Sorry, forgot to add the original link in my post. Good find on the commercial. I really do think this is silly. Marketing changes over time and it's not like they really made any drastic changes here.

4. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

And it only took three years to get started! :confused:

5. savoirfaire macrumors 6502

savoirfaire

My mouth is watering, but I'm not sure if it's from the grapes or from the melons.

j/k

6. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

God, its so hard to type with the Sun-Maid's melons all in my face!

Back in the day, controversy used to mean something...

[​IMG]

7. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Actually, the original design harkens back to the time when there were no child labor laws and it was commonplace to find children as young as 12 working in vineyards, orchards, factories, coal mines, etc.

8. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I dont like the new sunmaid raisin girl cause she says the word "sunshine" and I don't like the word sunshine.

The old sunmaid raisin girl didnt speak.

9. mscriv thread starter macrumors 601

mscriv

Whoa now, easy boys, simmer down a bit! Let's not get the juices flowing. (pun definitely intended) :D

#@%* Thanks localoid, this little story definitely belongs in the PRSI because it's obvious Sun-Maid is trying to make a political statement about child labor laws. Sheesh... :rolleyes:

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. Some people will complain about anything.

11. 11800506 macrumors 65816

I don't understand how this just now is controversial - as they said, I've seen these commercials for literally 3 years already, and she's really creepy in them.

My problem with the new sun-maid girl is she looks essentially like a poorly animated brunette barbie and is downright creepy in the commercial.

12. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Relax... I'm simply saying that Sun-Maid would have the public believe the original circa 1915 image reflects a "simpler time" but in fact it reflects a time when much of the agricultural work in this country was performed by children toiling in the fields, thus their use of an image of a girl that looks to be about 14 (although the actual model was older, but still in high school). Nothing "PRSI" about that -- it's simply fact. Probably few people gave the subject much thought in 1915, since child labor was then commonplace in most industries in the U.S. (again, that's simply fact, not "PRSI").

Of course the new and improved Sun-Maid "girl" doesn't look like she's 14 years old, and the older and more mature "girl" used in the new ads looks less like a young girl and more like she's in the 19+ age group. The new "girl" does have (gasp!) more developed breasts than the original, but personally, I've never been very concerned about (or turned on by) the cup size of imaginary cartoon characters.

13. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

The new Sun-Maid girls looks like a Sims character.

14. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

OMG! She has breasts! Won't somebody please think of the children!

15. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

In that case, they should have respected tradition and kept the original Sun-Maid girl to remind us of that happier time when those of us over 12 didn't have to do all the work! ;)

16. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

When I first had seen the commercials it seemed a bit odd but I could really have cared less.

Just as it should be. Take the slackers out of high school and toss them in the fields to save some tax payer money. Maybe they would actually care about their education then not just squeak by until they are done and do nothing useful afterward:p.

Before some ticked off person fires off an angry and elaborate response. It's a joke.

17. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

I would.

18. kindablue09 macrumors regular

kindablue09

Ok since nobody seems to be supporting the femisit's argument, I'll bite.

Isn't the Sun Maid girl supposed to be a 12 y/o girl? The new image places her at something between 18 and the freakish Kardashian look. I agree that the update doesn't push her sexuality, but I don't think that was the problem with that in the first place. I think the "controversy" really stems from the fact that America tends to create this unrealistic image of women. Originally the girl was just a cute little girl working in a vineyard, but now she represents some flawless mashup of ideal female characteristics. This whole idea of the media portraying flawless women has really begun to erode at the female self image (and male in more recent years) and should really be addressed because it is coming quite ridiculous.

My favorite shock fact is that they used a body double for Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman b/c her body wasn't in the ideal proportions for the skin scenes (yeah its an old reference, but she still was hot). But the folks here are probably very familiar with the massive amount of photoshopping that goes into magazine covers and ads.

Okay, I tried to be the devil's advocate. I'll actually be upset when the morton salt girl switches to a thong and 4" heels.

19. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I don't think they're trying to portray a sexual ideal. I think they're selling food, and they want her to look like she's grown up healthy.

And believe me, she has. :D

20. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Problem solved! :D

Attached Files:

21. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Who cares. It's still the same wrinkly raisins inside.

22. Little HZ macrumors regular

Little HZ

ROFL!!! I LOVE your solution, Doctor Q!

23. djellison macrumors 68020

Really? You did?

Wow.

If I try REALLY hard I could probably think of something I would want to read about less...but it would be quite hard.

24. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

25. kindablue09 macrumors regular

kindablue09

lol, rasins that will kick your ***