Sun VirtualBox

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by RabYoung, Nov 3, 2008.

1. RabYoung macrumors newbie

Anybody on the forum using this freeware virtualisation software? I've got it up and running on my iMac and it seems stable so far. Guest OS is Windows XP OEM.

2. osiris315 macrumors member

osiris315

I've been testing it as an alternative to Parallels, however I'm having problems with the shared folders facility. It just wont let me activate one (greyed out icon). If I can get this to work properly, then its goodbye Parallels!

Attached Files:

3. Chipskip macrumors member

Did you get the shared folders working?

I installed Virtualbox last night and my USB connected just fine. Today I can't get it to connect.

It let me create the shared folder but it wont let me access it.

A guy at work swears by Virtual box running on Linux, figured I would try it before buying one of the others.

4. mcgowan7 macrumors newbie

Virtual box guest additions

You've got to install the guest additions for folder sharing to work properly.

5. memco macrumors 6502

How's the performance and everything with VB? I think my only use for it is to check compatibility with IE6 for some websites. Right now I use Crossover, which is slow to start up and buggy at times.

6. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

I'm using it with Mandriva Linux right now, haven't experienced any problems, but I also don't use it often (I was really just playing around with Linux).

jW

7. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

Try using similar to the below changing the VBox_Shared shared part to the name of the directory you shared in a DOS command prompt window, once connected then in your My Computer you will see an X: network shared drive you can share the files with.

Code:
    net use x: \\vboxsvr\VBox_Shared