sunlight and heat

kingdummkopf

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2012
so i accidentally bumped another thread... ignore that. so yeah.

this applies to phones as well. if i were to use my ipad/iphone etc. in sunlight, with the sun shining on it, could that ruin the screen?

also, if i use my ipad/iphone on a hot day abroad, could that ruin the device?

i was in my conservatory, where it was warm, using my ipad, and the sun kept reflecting off the screen, and it got me thinking.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I don't think so. Anything left in direct sun for a long time will have adverse affects, but in the situation you're taking about, I doubt it.

The documentation for both devices should provide you with a temperature range that is considered safe for your device.

marty1990

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2011
England
So using an iPad in direct sunlight, where the sun is beaming onto the screen, on a hot day for a couple of hours is okay then?

I was wondering the same, so thanks.

Last edited:

Legios

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2012
If it is hot out you would most likely get a heat warning and the ipad would shut down before it allowed itself to be damaged.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
so i accidentally bumped another thread... ignore that. so yeah.

this applies to phones as well. if i were to use my ipad/iphone etc. in sunlight, with the sun shining on it, could that ruin the screen?

also, if i use my ipad/iphone on a hot day abroad, could that ruin the device?

i was in my conservatory, where it was warm, using my ipad, and the sun kept reflecting off the screen, and it got me thinking.
I've been frequently using my iPad 1 and 2 in the sauna to watch movies. (Of course, it's on the floor but get pretty hot nonetheless. I haven't done the same to the iPad 3.)

Both iPads survived - the iPad 1 more than two years of active sauna sessions. At least so far.