Sunlight Damage to MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pmontanarella, Jul 30, 2013.

1. pmontanarella macrumors 6502

Hi all,

Today I've rearranged my room and this afternoon I've discovered that in the afternoon the sun now shines directly on my desk, where my MacBook Pro is located. I'd never considered sun light damaging a computer while it's sitting idle on a desk with sunlight shining through the window but I got pretty scared today when I felt the screen was getting considerably hotter than usual. I managed to close the window blinds and block out the sunlight but now I'm wondering if it could have potentially caused any damage or was I just over-reacting?

Thanks,
    Pietro

2. B... macrumors 68000

B...

3. fenjen macrumors 6502

fenjen

Yeah sunlight tends to make things hot. However, if your mac hasn't been over 110 degrees (which I bet it hasn't otherwise it would have shut down) I would bet that it isn't damaged.

4. sarthak macrumors 6502

When the machine is powered on and both CPU/GPU are pegged, the system components heat up quite a bit. However, the Retina display does not heat up much if any at all. Avoid exposing the display or external housing to direct sunlight for prolonged periods of time. That being said, the machine can be damaged if you leave the system powered ON (or OFF) in direct sunlight where the temperature exceeds 45c for hours at a time.