Sunrise/Sunset doesn't display?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Armen, Jan 28, 2016.

1. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

For those of you who cannot get your Apple watch to display Sunrise/Sunset would you do me a favor and check your location services > system services on your iPhone and see if "setting time zone" is enabled?

Through some trial and error I discovered that the Sunrise/Sunset schedule on iOS 9.3 Beta 2 will not display if that setting is off which leads me to believe it uses that location service to determine when the sun rises and sets at your location.

2. nicho macrumors 68000

I thought it used the "Apple Watch faces" setting. Does it require both?

3. IphoneIssues macrumors 65816

I'm not on that beta but I had that issue. I fixed some setting in location services and that took care of it.

4. Armen thread starter macrumors 604

Armen

Apparently the "setting time zone" toggle is used to determine when Sunrise and Sunset is at your current location aside from setting the time automatically. every time I would turn this setting off the "sunrise to sunset" schedule for Night Shift on iOS 9.3 Beta 2 would vanish from the settings.

I was curious if the people here who don't see sunset/sunrise on their watch complication may have turned that location service off.

5. nicho macrumors 68000

Nope. It's definitely reliant on Apple Watch faces, at least up until 9.2.1 and watch OS 2.1.

I have all my location services turned on so it was easy to test.

Turn off Apple Watch faces.
    Add sunset complication to watch face and wait. --- shows.
    Turn off setting time zone under system services.
    Turn on Apple Watch faces without doing anything on watch.
    See sunset time appear automatically.

Clearly iPad won't be able to access that location API for night shift so perhaps Apple has tweaked it in 9.3. Try the above and see?

6. Armen thread starter macrumors 604

Armen

One thing I'm unclear about. What do you mean turn off apple watch faces? is that a toggle somewhere?

7. nicho macrumors 68000

Below where you go into system services. With the other apps eg carrot weather

8. Armen thread starter macrumors 604

Armen

Oh gotcha. hmm, I guess the watch faces location service is used for the sunrise/sunset complication on the watch. Ok, that's good to know that it's not reliant on the automatic time zone service like the Night Shift toggle is.