Super awkward text selection in Safari

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by printz, Oct 1, 2014.

1. printz macrumors regular

It seems like trying to select something in Safari has become an insurmountable obstacle. When I hold a word, I expect that word to be selected, the selection to be extensible left and right, and a callout menu to appear with clipboard and dictionary commands. But now quite often it results in a box which can't even be resized despite having handles, it can disappear instantly, and how do I turn it into a simple text selection? I can't access the dictionary by selecting a single word this way!

Better yet, is there any way to disable this silly box selection? I expect a 'no', because only the critical settings are editable on iOS Safari.

I think it works well here, but I had much more trouble selecting text on sites like TVTropes etc.

Edit: this applies to iPad as well. In fact my only iOS device is an iPad. Sorry if thread is misplaced.

2. MasterRyu2011 macrumors 65816

If you're talking about the big blue box with circle points as handles, they can surely be resized---it's just hard to do it on a small screen. This is where Chrome is superior to Safari. Chrome selects the individual word every time and the handles are larger and easier to handle.