Super-basic question re: selling 1G iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mkstewartesq@co, Jul 29, 2008.

1. mkstewartesq@co macrumors regular

I plan to unlock my 1G iPhone (2.0) and sell it to make way for a 3G. I assume that, once I have unlocked it, I just take out my SIM and keep it - right? Or is it customary to have AT&T deactivate the SIM, then include it with the iPhone sale? Or is there some third protocol I am missing when selling a 1G iPhone?

(I also need to wipe my personal data from the phone, I know, but I'll do some more research on that topic before bothering you all with any questions in that regard.)

Thanks,
    M

2. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

I just sold my 1st gen iPhone on ebay without the SIM card. Most auctions I've seen don't include it, and there really isn't any reason to since the buyer will have no use for your old SIM card and will have to use their own.

The 2.0 software will securely wipe your phone when you choose the reset everything option in the settings. It takes about an hour to complete.

3. mkstewartesq@co thread starter macrumors regular

PoitNarf:

Thanks very much for the quick reply. :)

M

4. mike12806 macrumors 6502

Would you guys rather keep your iphone in case your 3G breaks?!?! I'm scared to sell my first one because with my luck i'll smash my 3G the next day! :rolleyes:

5. View macrumors regular

I second that. DO NOT include your Sim card, and MAKE IT CLEAR in the auction that sim card is not included.

6. View macrumors regular

I think the price of the used 1st gen iphone will go down, and you can maybe get one then :) So if you sell it now, you get quite a reasonable amount of money back.

PS. I see that you are in Boston, I love that place! I was gonna apply for a master's degree there, but I'm stuck with the agreement with my professor that I'm doing a research proj. for, so I can't apply there : (

7. ivtecDOu macrumors 6502

ivtecDOu