Super bowl halftime show

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by maflynn, Feb 8, 2010.

1. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Am I the only one who was underwhelmed? I half expected Daltry to whip out an oxygen tank and take a drag. These guys are old and it showed. It looked like they messed up on their opening song and they just stood there and sang.

Townsend stood there like a virtual mannequin I was not impressed.

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

King of sad. One of the greatest rock and roll singing voices ever. Too bad these guys don't know when it's time to hang it up.

3. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Daltry is 65 and Townsend is 64. And those aren't your typical life years. The impact and scope of their work is impressive. However, Miami + CSI themes + CBS = commercial. If you like the music, the halftime show was okay. I've seen them live in in the 80's, but stadium concerts, by their nature, suck. I'd rather pop my CD's into my system and blow them out with my high end headphones. But don't expect these guys to jump around, windmill strum, and break things. Those days are over.

4. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Yeah, it was pretty bad. Way past their prime.

The Stones are old but they're still able to put on a halfway decent live show.

At least Daltrey didn't flash his nipple, that wouldn't be a pretty sight.

5. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

It was funny, cause my wife asked me "who are these old people? and why are they singing?" :p

6. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Yeah, they should've lip-synced to the original versions. It did get a little better after the first "songlet".

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Someone on this board made a comment that made sense and was worth a laugh. It was something like after Janet's titty incident all we get are a bunch of senior citizens singing.

The problem is that they're not really The Who anymore though watching Ringo's son play was great. He's an amazing drummer.

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

They sounded awful, but the lighting was awesome. I loved that stage.

9. iowamensan macrumors 6502

That's who the drummer was? I thought it looked like Nigel from Spinal Tap

10. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

That about sums it up for me. I was more impressed with the engineering of the stage and being blown away by how quickly they could put it up and take it down.

P-Worm

11. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

Yeah. Without John Entwistle and Keith Moon, that isn't The Who. They should have just called it "Pete Townshend, Roger Daltrey, and some other guys", but I suppose that doesn't have the same ring. It's also pretty obvious Daltrey's voice is shot.

12. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

So is Pete Townsend's. All they get any more at the Super Bowl is has beens.

13. ronjon10 macrumors regular

It was horrific. I thought Daltry was going to have a heart attack up there. He started turning dark red and the camera panned off him for an unusually long time. I thought for sure he collapsed.

It was sad to see one of the greatest rock bands in history reduced to that performance.

14. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

I can't comment on the half time show, as I didn't watch. I was watching the Lingerie Bowl instead.:cool:

15. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

That stage and laser show were incredible. I didn't think the music was that bad, but I guess that's because my expectations weren't so high. I mean these are guys who have toured for over 40 years now. I can't imagine the toll just doing the scream in "Won't Get Fooled Again" has taken on Daltrey's vocal chords.

It was pretty cool hearing the crowd singing back to them though. Stadium concerts may not be the best acoustically, but I bet it's hard to beat from an artist's perspecitve. It's got to be amazing playing for that many people.

16. ethical macrumors 68000

+1 on the awesome stage! The lasers and lights were spectacular, and to get that up so quickly was very impressive. The Who on the other hand....not so impressive.

17. TheOnlyJon macrumors 6502a

TheOnlyJon

Couldn't have been said better. The whole show was quite a spectacle and considering they're all over 65, I think they held up pretty well. The crowd singing along was awesome to hear. That made me smile.

18. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

They were once great, but they need to know when to quit, wouldve been a lot better if they lip synced and focused more on... well... not standing in the same place all the time.

19. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I was underwhelmed by the entire super bowl. Although The Who were the highlight of the game until Manning's interception.

20. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

I thought the performance was incredibly sad, but possibly the saddest thing was the way they really only got an audience reaction when they started playing a recognizable fragment of a CSI theme song. It sounded depressingly like the death rattle of cultural relevance.

The light show was amazing though.