Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hcclnoodles

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 7, 2012
Hi there

I have a mid 2010 - 13" macbook pro and since installing mavericks its become a bit of a dog so thought id give it some go-faster stripes

I wondered if any of the gurus on here may be able to recommend the best possible SSD and memory upgrade I can get ? Given that this is older technology Im hoping I can get an all singing all dancing laptop once again for less than premium cost

Ive also been advised by a guy i know that because I have the 13" 2010 model, that I can upgrade to 16GB of RAM? is this true ? and if so, does anybody know the best dimms to go for?

also when going for an SSD , will I need one of the slightly older style (thicker) units? and should I only be looking at SSD's that support up to 3 gbs (i also got told thats my limit)

any help or advice on what i should be buying would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Last edited:

hcclnoodles

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 7, 2012
Thanks Barney

Do you happen to know which particular crucial memory ?

Also , the evo 840's are SATA3 6Gbps devices .. Does the mid 2010 MBP 13" support those speeds? or would that be overkill for my system ?

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
Do you happen to know which particular crucial memory ?

You can select your exact machine using the drop-down menus on Crucial's homepage to get you to the right kit.

Also , the evo 840's are SATA3 6Gbps devices .. Does the mid 2010 MBP 13" support those speeds? or would that be overkill for my system ?

Only 2011 and higher systems support SATA III, but the interface is backward compatible.

hcclnoodles

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 7, 2012
thanks for your reply

I went on to the crucial website and it offered up the following 8gb kit

http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=72F76169A5CA7304

However, according to wikipedia, the 13" mid-2010 model can take 16GB ? can anybody confirm if this is indeed the case ?

actually after a little research it looks like these OWC dimms will do the trick for the mid-2010 model

http://www.mac-upgrade.co.uk/produc...-pc3-8500-1066mhz-ddr3-sodimm-owc8566ddr3s16p

and more info here for those that are interested

http://blog.macsales.com/16302-some-2010-mac-owners-can-get-more-ram-than-they-thought

Last edited by a moderator:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Do you need 16GB of ram?
What's your usage, if you're not dealing with a high amount of swapping then the 16GB ram may be a wasted resource.

Since you're on Mavericks, what's the memory pressure during your typical usage.

SSD is typically the best bet to increase performance since you get instance gratification of speed. Ram can be a good way to boost performance, provided you're short on it now, otherwise it wont really have much affect.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
However, according to wikipedia, the 13" mid-2010 model can take 16GB ? can anybody confirm if this is indeed the case ?
Yes, your MBP can use up to 16GB of RAM. Whether you need that much or not is another matter.

You can find specs on all Apple products, including maximum RAM:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.