super cheap ram for mac pro in the UK on amazon

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by andyUKr, Nov 30, 2010.

1. andyUKr macrumors member

2. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

3. skate71290 macrumors 6502a

Unless it changes price at final checkout, make a hard-copy of the page and order **** loads!

4. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Won't make a difference. Maybe if it was Amazon, but this is 3rd party sellers. The mistake is likely Amazon showing the wrong product to what the sellers are listing.

5. RedTomato, Nov 30, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2010

RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

There's 5 companies selling it at roughly similar prices. Not sure what's going on here.

Would this RAM work in a normal PC (i.e. not a Mac Pro) that could take DDR3 10600? The RAM on offer is ECC Registered.

I'm looking at building a PC and I wouldn't mind taking a jump on this and seeing what happens.

Edit: Took the jump and ordered it from the Shop4USB outlet. It was the most expensive one, £33, but it seemed the most reputatable outlet. Based in Bristol, and I have mates in that city so will see what happens.

Expected dispatch date 1-2 Dec so will probably get a message tomorrow saying they've found a mistake.

Edit 2: Right, done a bit of research, and it seems ECC Registered RAM will only work in Xeon / Server motherboards, i.e. not your typical i5 or i7 PC. So I can't use it for my hackintosh project, but I can resell it to an IT colleague if it does come through.

6. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

OK, the parcel came today, and I opened it with a bit of excitement.

Inside was .... a 2GB stick of Kingston laptop SODIMM memory. Huh.

The attached form said 4 x 4GB, so I gave shop4USB a ring. They were very nice and said the wrong item description had been put into the Amazon database, presumably affecting several shops.

I looked at the letter, and yes the item code does mention 2GB, while the item description is 4 x 4GB.

They will send me a return form or refund, or send me the 4 x 4GB if they have it in stock (don't think that'll happen). Ah well.

7. andyUKr thread starter macrumors member

what a pity, i was just about to order it as well...

8. Igantius, Dec 12, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2010

Igantius macrumors 65816

I know that ECC memory was being mentioned, but this place does 16GB for £226.

*edit* Crucial seem to be doing an offer at the moment - e.g. £148 for 4GBx2, £221 for 4GBx3.