"Super"Drive acting up

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mac2x, Nov 23, 2009.

1. mac2x macrumors 65816

I put in a DVD to watch, and all it does is spin up, stop, and spin up again. It does this for several minutes, during which nothing will eject it, not even drutil tray eject in Terminal. Disk Utility hung on "gathering disk information", and i had to force quit. Then, there's a popup saying that the DVD is blank, when I know damn well it isn't. I finally got the disc to spit out.

Anyone else had this problem?

[edit] Another DVD plays fine. Go figure. FYI, these are both commercial DVD's.

2. TonyK macrumors 6502a

TonyK

Possibly copy protection on the DVD. Have you tried a different computer or a DVD player? Could also be installed codecs (sp).

We got a DVD that won't play in our Blu-Ray player. My first thought is region information and will try it on the Macs and then an older DVD player we have.

3. Interpolation macrumors regular

I had something similar, and then I noticed it could not burn certain DVD disks. It was fine with cd's. In the end I replaced it and never had a problem since.

4. mac2x thread starter macrumors 65816

The weirdest thing is that this particular DVD has played without issue several times before in this computer. I'll try it in another machine to make certain the DVD isn't messed up somehow.

The region is correct on both machine and DVD for my area, so I doubt it's that...