Super drive alternative?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by dilgit, Aug 13, 2011.

1. dilgit macrumors regular

I'm looking for an external CD/DVD drive player for my new 13" MBA. Is there an alternative to Apple's own "Super Drive" that any one can recommend. Thanks!

2. gorleegor macrumors newbie

Any external USB dvd drive will do ~~~

3. chapmac macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I use the samsung too. Works perfectly with the mba

4. dilgit thread starter macrumors regular

The Samsung and the Asus need two USB ports which is not so practical for my MBA. I prefer a drive with only one USB port needed.

5. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

I've got an older samsung (boxy, square, black) DVD drive. While it has double USB connections, my 2011 can drive it with one.

6. turbotoes macrumors regular

The samsung does not need 2 ports on the 2011 air. It is quite happy to write DVDs at an indicated 8x with one connector. 1st hand experience not hearsay. :cool:

It also works on the front USB ports of my pc, which are not powerful enough to charge my iPad,

7. rkahl macrumors 65816

The superdrive is powered by the computer so you only have the attached cable to deal with.

8. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Like most other modern USB CD/DVD drives. Plenty of examples already in this thread, all much cheaper if you shop around. The superdrive is overpriced.

9. brand macrumors 601

brand

I have the Pioneer slim external optical drive and prefer it over the Apple external superdrive. The Pioneer slim external optical drive is smaller than the Apple external superdrive. The Pioneer drive also has an actual eject button making it much easier to use with non-Apple computers, the Apple drive does not have an eject button.

10. Tenashus1 macrumors 6502

11. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

No it doesn't :

12. Tenashus1, Aug 14, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2011

Tenashus1 macrumors 6502

Unless I've got another model, mine has a two pronged USB cable connecting from the dvd player.

From the Asus link above itself: Note that this drive is NOT recommended if you have a computer with only one USB port per side, as some small systems do (unfortunately, small systems are the ones most likely to need an external optical drive). You would need to buy a different mini-USB cable for power.

13. jsolares macrumors 6502a

if i remember correctly apple doesn't strictly adhere to the usb standard and the ports on the mac provide more power, you could try only connecting one of those two usb cables, and see if you can burn and read correctly.

from what i've read on amazon's reviews with the airs you only need to connect the one that's data/power and not both (the other one is only for extra power)

i have an external case for 2.5 drives that also have two ports, it works fine with just the data/power one connected.

14. Tenashus1 macrumors 6502

That would be nice. I will check it out. Thank you for the suggestion. :)

15. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Most do, yet they only require 1 cable when connected to a properly powered USB ports. They have 2 for PCs that ship with underpowered ports.

16. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

People should stop assuming. I have the Asus I got from newegg for like $20 right in front of me and it works with 1 USB. Like knight said above, the second one is for under powered USB ports ie USB hub. I can't speak for the Samsung but the Asus I linked to will work with one MBA USB port.

17. macfly4 macrumors member

macfly4

i just ordered this new samsung Model SE-208AB/TSBS from new egg for $30.
    looks like they just came out with it and it has a hand operated eject rather than the previous model which can't do it unless you do it through the OS.

18. Tenashus1 macrumors 6502

It doesn't look like I'm really going to need this drive, but thanks folks for showing me that it does in fact work on the MBA just in case I ever do need it. I spoke to soon, and stand thankfully corrected.

19. JonLa macrumors 6502

I can confirm that the Liteon ETAU108-01 8x Slim Top-Load External DVDRW bought from Amazon UK for 25 quid (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002TPSEV6/) works fine with my Air - single USB port, top loader. Used to install Windows, write dvds, read data dvds