super drive are you dead? or just being stubborn?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iggywiggy, Jul 16, 2011.

1. iggywiggy macrumors newbie

hi folks,

Went to put cd into my drive and something is blocking it from entering. thought first it was a stuck cd, tried everything to to eject, holding mouse keys down when rebooting and various other methods, unsuccessful, can't even tell if there is a cd inside or not. now thinking it's locked shut as if cd is inside. it seems like it's not responding at all, it doesn't make any noises, can't insert or eject..
    Tried the disk utility repair and what is puzzling me is that I can see what looks like a cd there, in the left under the hard drive disks?? perhaps this means there is a cd stuck inside??

So what i really want to know is how can I tell if its dead, or just stuck in some way?

Any help greatly appreciated.

2. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

If you take it out and look on the keyboard side there is a small window you can look in..

3. iggywiggy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you,

I took off the back of the computer and tried to see that way, but didn't see how to take out the super drive...

so couldn't see the window you are talking about on the key board side...I will try again...will let you know how i get on....

4. iggywiggy thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi,

For anyone with the same problem:

I finally got the superdrive out enough to see inside and no cd: there was a little piece of plastic, coming down into the 'open space' blocking cds entry, I managed to enter the cd in between the end of this piece of plastic and the casing, and managed to get a cd into the cavity...

was just able to do this again when superdrive was back in place through the normal slot now that i knew how and where to push/press and bend cd slightly, turned computer back on and it accepted the cd...and then ejected again without a problem, from then on the drive was working like normal again..

Conclusion: was that the mechanism to stop you putting two cds in was stuck closed and once i got it open again it worked fine...

thanks for advice about taking superdrive out...there are many online videos to help show you how...saved me a few quid and hassle of taking to apple

one happy mac book pro owner :D:D:D