Super drive can read factory discs but not burned discs

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
If I insert a factory CD/DVD (like a mac os x install disk or a movie, these disks are usually silver colored), it works. But if I install a burned disk (homemade) it does not work. A burned CD appears as a blank CD, allowing me to burn over the data. A burned DVD will be tried to be read but then be ejected. What is wrong?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Your drive is failing or the lens is dirty. Try a lens cleaner disc. If that does not fix the problem, the drive will have to be replaced.

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
Your drive is failing or the lens is dirty. Try a lens cleaner disc. If that does not fix the problem, the drive will have to be replaced.
Wow that was fast

What is the difference between a factory disk and a burned disk? It is odd that it can read factory disks but not burned disks, I would think a dirty lens could not read any DVD but can read any CD, or not even any CD.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
A factory disc is pressed and has a sharper easier to see 1/0 patter to see than a burnt disc.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I would think a dirty lens could not read any DVD but can read any CD, or not even any CD.
It's to do with the materials used. I had a dying drive that would read blue-surfaced CD-Rs but not green ones.

Edit: And because pressed is better, as noted by Intell :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.