Super Drive from Apple?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by karino1, Dec 10, 2012.

1. karino1 macrumors member

I ordered the super drive from apple when I ordered my iMac. Now I'm wondering if I could have gotten a better one else for the price? $70

Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks

2. HunterMaximus macrumors member

Depends what you mean by better. The SuperDrive is probably the nicest looking you can get, but you can get much cheaper ones (have a look at NewEgg), or you can get Blu-ray drives for about the same price (note that while OS X doesn't include support for watching Blu-rays, you can do so with 3rd party software, including VLC).

3. Vitiri macrumors newbie

4. Scrapula macrumors 6502

I bought one from Newegg. The Asus I bought looks good, is small, and stands on its side. It's not on sale now, so it is $45.

5. CaptMike macrumors regular

CaptMike

I believe that have been treads stating that a person can purchase a Samsung or other brand and get a 16x speed and/or even blue-ray for about the same pricing as the apple superdrive.

6. Slower Pace macrumors member

Apple Superdrive

I ordered the Apple Superdrive with my new 21.5" iMac and they look very nice together. I also got the trackpad instead of the mouse. I would never use a mouse again -- the trackpad does so much more, so very sweet! The keyboard and trackpad fit together end-to-end as one unit. So get the Superdrive and or the mouse, and all will look beautiful on your desktop. :)

7. jkautosports macrumors regular

I bought a Samsung DVDrW on Newegg for $35 shipped. Seeing that it won't get used often, and will spend most of its time in a drawer, I don't care whether or not it matches the other stuff... Save your money... or better yet, call them and ask if they can remove it without messing up your order. They may even throw it in for free ;)

8. karino1 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, for the feedback. What's VLC?

9. karino1 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, yes I did order the trackpad also. Haven't use a mouse in 10 years. Can't wait to get it...I have until mid Jan but received the Super drive one day after placing my ordered..wish the iMac would come so fast. Anyway thanks.

----------

I won't be using it much. I received the drive one day after I placed my order. I may take it back..

Thanks

10. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

Click on the blue VLC link in the post you just quoted. Description is on the very first page, you can't miss it.

11. karino1 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, I will check it out. Its frustrating how the sellers are raising the price.

12. kaelell macrumors 6502

i went with the samsung bluray. whilst it cheaper and more features and versatile as it works with any PC, I was still very tempted by the Apple superdrive so be happy with your purchase. Its a lot more sleeker looking, has only a single usb cable to power it (Samsung has 2) and you can use that eject button on your keyboard !
    My deciding factor int he end was compatibility, the drive I believe is only compatible with new macbooks & imacs according to its FAQs

13. karino1 thread starter macrumors member

14. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

I got the Apple superdrive for about $45 after using some Best Buy coupons. I like it only because it perfectly matches the iMac. I have it sitting on the iMac's stand facing forward. Looks great and doesn't use up any space on my desk at all.

If you don't care about how the drive looks and you don't have a way to discount your way down in the price, I would go for another drive.

15. karino1 thread starter macrumors member

Lol..thanks.

16. JustMartin macrumors 6502a

I got the Samsung as well because of the Blu-Ray capability. It works very well for ripping and playing CDs, haven't tested DVDs yet. Blu-Ray I got working on my old Mac with MacGo (eventually), but couldn't get VLC to get past not being able to open its keys database. Blu-ray playback on both programs is limited - no menu support for example.

17. karino1 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks!

18. USAntigoon macrumors regular

USAntigoon

Got the Apple Superdrive and it fits perfectly onto the iMac stand.. The Superdrive is finished in the same brushed Alu finished.. You cannot see the USB cable at all..

19. kflanary macrumors newbie

Hmm I have an iMac and the apple superdrive. What do you mean it fits in the stand? And that you can't see the cable? I love them both but want to make sure I'm not missing something! I don't see anywhere to put it that is hidden. Probably misunderstood! Post a pic if you have one! Thanks

20. USAntigoon, Jan 29, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2013

USAntigoon macrumors regular

USAntigoon

21. large farva macrumors regular

I called up Apple to further inquire about my iMac ordered. To try and get more information. The lady I was speaking with sensed my frustration during the conversation and asked me "Do you have a USB SuperDrive?" I told her "No..", so she said "Well, how would you like one, free of charge, seeing as how you've been waiting so patiently for your iMac order?" My answer was "Hell yeah I would!" So it looks like I don't have to worry about a optical drive now. That's why I like Apple, not many companies would be willing to just give you an $80 item because you're a little stressed about your order. I was going to go with a Bluray Writer/Player, but for now the Apple SuperDrive will be fine. Does anyone here recommend a good Bluray Writer/Player? Also, what's good software for it, for example, to play and write blurays. If I pop a bluray disc in, will it just play as a DVD would on the iMac?

22. Jindra12, Jan 30, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2013

Jindra12 macrumors newbie

I brought a DVD player/reader on Amazon for $18 and it worked everything. I saved $52 from buying a Super Drive.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002782LTG/ref=oh_details_o02_s01_i00

I don't think you will need a blu-ray player/reader. I could download all the blu-ray movies through iTune. You'll never lose it as if you had a blu-ray dvd. You could stratch it and ruin it forever, so you had to buy other one. It's not worth it and that is why Apple ditched DVD player in their iMac product line. I agree with them. I think they are also encouraging us to be a smart shopper since DVD players are wide available in the marketplace. Good example is that I brought my DVD player for $18. WOW! I just hook it up and it works. I haven't downloaded anything for the player.