Super Drive Included?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Lornaevo, Dec 26, 2015.

1. Lornaevo macrumors member

Lornaevo

Im thinking of buying a new iMac but wasn't sure if they came with a cd/DVD drive?

2. MadDane macrumors 6502a

No, it is not included. You can see here what is in the box: http://www.apple.com/imac/specs/

The SuperDrive is a $79 accessory. However, you can find another external DVD drive for around 1/4 of that price.

3. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    Agreed, I would be inclined to buy a cheap external usb bluray, as I occasionally boot into Windows.

4. Lornaevo thread starter macrumors member

Lornaevo

Thanks for the responses guys. I always thought that a drive was built in.

5. MadDane macrumors 6502a

There used to be. However when they got the newer and thinner design in 2012 the SuperDrive was removed.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No anymore, apple as dropped them from the design a few years ago.

7. Fishrrman macrumors G3

As others have mentioned above, you'll get more for your money (and lose nothing) by buying a 3rd-party drive.

I went with a Samsung CD/DVD/Bluray USB drive, it's excellent.

8. grmitch macrumors newbie

My late 2009 iMac does have a CD/DVD drive which isn't used very much. But when I tried to burn a CD with an iso image yesterday, of course DiskUtility in El Capitan doesn't have the Burn option any more. I have a SnowLeopard partition that I booted from and used. But, when getting a new iMac and external drive like Apple's, do CD/DVD options magically come back somehow for DU or iTunes, etc.? Is there some kind of app to install? I need some education!

9. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

wrong thread, but Burn has been moved to Finder under the File menu. Those options automagically appear when it detects the correct hardware. So if a Disk drive is connected the burn option appears in supported apps.

10. grmitch macrumors newbie

Thank you for the info. Probably have never looked under File in Finder with El Capitan!

11. aliensporebomb macrumors 68000

aliensporebomb

I ended up getting myself a Pioneer CD/DVD/BluRay reader/writer/rewriter at the local Best Buy and it's nice to be able to watch BluRay content on the iMac 5k screen (you need the third party Mac BluRay player to watch them) as well as being able to burn/read nearly anything I need. No need for a SuperDrive when you have that.

12. cynics macrumors G3

3rd party options are MUCH better. There are just too many options available for Apple to affordably include something built in. Plus with the amount of wear and tear I put on my Bluray reader I prefer it being external so its disposable and replaceable...