Super Drive Issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 8CoreWhore, Dec 25, 2013.

1. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

So, the Super Drive in my 2011 13" MBP is acting weird. If I put in any disc at all that has content on it, it works as it should. If I put in a blank disc it makes all kinds of nasty noise, refuses to mount, and gets ejected weakly.

I have tested 10 different blanks.

The blanks are Taiyo Yuden, made in Japan.. These are some of the best rated out there and I am using a 100pk that so far has 100% reliability for recording success.

If I put in those that have already been burned to they work, but blank ones are not. I put in old, cheapo discs I have burned to and they work, as well as factory movies, etc.

So, several of TY already burned to work, but several TY blanks make a bunch of noise.... Anyone have any ideas? I doubt it's the brand for the reasons above, just wondering if I'm missing something.

Thanks...

2. Doward macrumors 6502a

Super drives go out relatively often.

Already had mine replaced twice under AppleCare.

3. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

What OS version are you running?
    Have you tried with different Apps beside the Finder?
    DO a quick check in iTunes create a playlist, then insert the blank disc and try to burn it.

another thing to try is create a new user, then from that user test, if the issue remains then it may be a hardware issue (assuming that there is nothing else causing the issue).

4. 8CoreWhore, Dec 25, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2013

8CoreWhore thread starter macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

It was this way under ML and now Mavericks. I'll try it with Toast installed...

... Just tried it with Toast... Not working. I understand these drives can just fail, but it's weird that it works as a reader/player... But that's it... Wondering if anyone had similar experience.