Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BIS2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 20, 2004
I'm getting ready to order a 15" powerbook soon and I need some advice. I can't decide if I should get the superdrive model or if its really worth the extra money? Would I be better off getting the combo model and just adding a bigger hard drive? the trade off is that the combo model is slower. So then I wonder if I should get the 1.5 ghz and change the option to just have the combo drive - that way I would be getting the faster computer with more ram. So my question is, looking a few years down the road, which am I going to wish I had more - the super drive or the speed/ram? I'm just not sure how useful the super drive would be? I would like to be able to edit video, but I could still do that and then transfer it to a computer at work to put it on a dvd.

So in short I'm not sure waht to do - any advice would be appreciated! Thanks.

PS I mainly use my computer for email, word processing, photoshop, and possibly pagemaker.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
BIS2 said:
I'm getting ready to order a 15" powerbook soon and I need some advice. I can't decide if I should get the superdrive model or if its really worth the extra money? Would I be better off getting the combo model and just adding a bigger hard drive? the trade off is that the combo model is slower. So then I wonder if I should get the 1.5 ghz and change the option to just have the combo drive - that way I would be getting the faster computer with more ram. So my question is, looking a few years down the road, which am I going to wish I had more - the super drive or the speed/ram? I'm just not sure how useful the super drive would be? I would like to be able to edit video, but I could still do that and then transfer it to a computer at work to put it on a dvd.

So in short I'm not sure waht to do - any advice would be appreciated! Thanks.

PS I mainly use my computer for email, word processing, photoshop, and possibly pagemaker.

My advice is - get BOTH! :D

Definitely having a faster processor is nice, but maxed RAM (buy from someone other than Apple) is going to make any machine run faster.

You can always add RAM later if you need it. Get a faster PB with a Superdrive. Up the RAM when you can.

Celeron

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2004
I saw skip the superdrive. Its not that good of a drive to begin with anyway. You can get a much better external DVD burner from Plextor for not that much more money. Get the faster model, drop down to the combo drive and order some more memory from http://www.crucial.com. Later on down the line if you need the superdrive you can pick up a DVD burner that will be better for less money.

daxdagr8t

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2004
just get the combo drive, u can get an external dual layer burner in the near future and for the ram get the single 512 stick instead of two 256.

nyassa3898

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2004
Vista
if you dont think you'll use the superdrive than go with the 1.5 with a single stick of ram. that way down the road when you want more ram your not stuck with a chip you dont need.

BIS2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 20, 2004
thanks!

well you all have seemed to confirm what I was thinking, to get the 1.5 ghz with the combo drive. thanks for your advice!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.