Super Drive quality problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by loumaripolsky, Jan 12, 2009.

1. loumaripolsky macrumors newbie

I own an early 2008 model Mac Book Pro. I have had the Super Drive replaced once and the new drive is worse! My original drive would not burn +DL or -DL. New replacement won't even read anything.

Has anyone had quality problems with their DVD Super Drives? I find this llack of quality in such an expensive product very disturbing.

Many thanks,

Lou Maripolsky

2. MVApple macrumors 6502a

yup, I had my late 08 MBP replaced because it wouldn't read some dvd-9's. The new one burns and reads them but its still picky. Even though it reads all of them, the reading process isn't as smooth as it should be. If I burn a movie using the MBP I can play it back just fine in boxee, if I burn that same file with an external burner the MBP won't play it back fine or it'll chock at certain points. I can get the movie file off of the disc though and the movie file will play just fine. I can then take that movie file and burn it using the MBP and it'll play just fine.

Clearly a problem with how the discs are burned. The thing is, those discs work perfectly on a windows machine using the same exact external drive. There is some driver problem or something, I don't know. All I know is that the MBP drive is picky.

3. dark knight macrumors regular

Yes Sir

My experience is not problems with burning but picky is right. I had my new unibody replaced due to the drive making some very alarming noises. I have found that any disc with one of those inkjet printed sticky labels causes problems. Without fail ripping the audio off a disc with a paper label will cause scraping noise to begin about halfway through the rip. towards the end the drive will grind to a halt and sit there for about five minutes before it will let you eject. I can only think that the space inside these drives is very tight and a paper label is just too much.

id be interested to see if anyone else has experienced this as this is my second unibody, different superdrive manufacturers and the same problem. Id honestly had preferred a tray loader even if the laptop had to be thicker as ive never had problems with them.

4. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I use mine pretty rigorously and it hasn't failed on me yet. Although for burns I strictly use premium media; Taiyo Yuden and Verbatim (Japan or Taiwanese with correct media codes). I don't trust my data to anything else. (Early 2008 mbp)

5. Crash1234 macrumors regular

Same thing happens to me on my mbp with the disks with the paper labels. My iMac does the same thing...