Super Duper Interrupted by Accident

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by vahnx, Dec 25, 2013.

1. vahnx, Dec 25, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2013

vahnx macrumors member

I'm using Super Duper for the first time to create a read-only image of my mac HDD to my NAS. It ran for about 4 hours then I forgot about it and closed my laptop. I opened it backup and it seemingly resumed, so I check my NAS and I see a laptop_backup.dmg.sparseimage (115.73GB) and another laptop_backup.dmg (68.29GB+) file that's increasing in size as it continues running. Now I know it was in the process of step 3: converting to read-only when I closed the laptop. Should I be worried I corrupted it? It's still going.. Maybe because I had it plugged in it only "powernapped" and still continued?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

A file copy like that would not continue under Power Nap. I would not trust it. If it was me, I would start over.

3. Partron22, Dec 26, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2013

Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

I recently unplugged an old, slow USB drive (destination disk) in the midst of a Super Duper backup. The App complained, so I plugged the drive back in. It then made me start over, but recognized the files that had already been transferred (smart backup). After successful completion of backup, I ran a smart backup again, and it detected no differences between the source and destination disk.
    IOW, Super Duper seems to handle these kinds of accidents gracefully, and you can check by running backup again, after the possibly screwed up BU is complete. That second run does not take very long if all is well.