Super Duper or Time Machine?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kevhui, Apr 24, 2008.

1. kevhui macrumors regular

I am new to Mac - just bought a Mac Mini with Boot Camp installed.

I also bought a Firewire 500GB and want to use it as a backup to Mac X and share drive for Mac X and WinXP.

1. If I want to backup (i.e. clone) my internal drive (i.e. Mac and WinXP), should I use Super Duper or Time Machine?

2. If something bad happens and I cannot even boot my Mac, how can I retore?

3. I have some ideas but not sure if this is correct
    - Create 3 partitions in my Firewire drive
    - 1st partition is cloned with Super Duper
    - 2nd partition is used for backup files using Time Machine
    - 3rd partition is FAT32 and used as common storage for Mac X and WinXP

4. For Super Duper, what is the difference between backup to a partition vs to a image file?

Thanks a lot for helping.

2. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

This is for OS X only. I'm not sure how Windows would be affected.

1. TM is automatic and therefore is more likely to keep you up-to-date.

2. If you need to restore from a TM backup, insert Leopard DVD and follow prompts. This can be very slow taking around 4-8 hours from reports. SD's backup would be a lot faster to restore. A combination of both (use TM for daily backup's, use SD for weekly/monthly backups) would be ideal if time is money to you.

3. I did exactly this when I moved from Tiger to Leopard on my PB. It worked beautifully to migrate all my apps and settings, etc. It was like getting a new interface without the headache of an upgrade. Loved it.

4. Not sure. I just did a full backup although I believe the image file is exactly that, a .dmg that would contain a copy of your entire hard drive. You'd want to use the backup option which would just copy your hard drive just like it is onto the external hard drive's partition.

3. kevhui thread starter macrumors regular

Many thanks both.

I just got the Mac mini for a week but am getting loving it

4. kevhui thread starter macrumors regular

Mmm. i just tried using S/D to clone my Mac (I used the first option), everything appeared on screen is OK, but it is not listed in the Startup Disk.

Please help!