Super Duper + Time Machine

Discussion in 'macOS' started by macstatic, May 15, 2011.

1. macstatic macrumors 6502a

Using Super Duper I've created a bootable backup drive for my PowerBook.
    The idea is to have Time Machine doing regular backups on the same drive, but also having it bootable in case of an emergency. However, Super Duper has copied the entire drive (that's the only choice in unregistered mode as far as I know), and when I try to start Time Machine it attempts to back up my entire drive again. I assume if configure Time Machine not to copy certain folders (e.g. System, Applications...) then it won't make any backups of them later on even if things inside of them change. And if I leave Time Machine as it is and instead remove files the backup drive so far (the files/folders Super Duper copied) then I won't have a bootable drive any longer, so what do I do?

I'm running MacOSX 10.5 (10.5.8?) on a PowerBook G4.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I use Carbon Copy Cloner to make a bootable backup, then keep that backup current with scheduled incremental backups. I assume SuperDuper can do the same thing. Using this method, I have no need for Time Machine at all.

3. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Yes it can! I use it to create regular incremental backup on an external HDD.

Having suffered many years ago the disaster of an HD crash, I also run Time Machine on another HDD. Some may say "overkill!". Maybe, but.......... :)

4. chris8 macrumors newbie

Super Duper is great, used it for years but you should turn off Time Machine when doing your SD backup as it can cause strange probs if you don't.

5. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

Honestly, if you're going to use both Super Duper and Time Machine, it would probably be better to have them both be on different drives. That way if your hard drive fails you haven't lost two backups. :eek:

6. fungus macrumors regular

fungus

I would create two partitions on the drive, one for clone backups and one for Time Machine, and limit Time Machine to backing up your libraries and important files as you stated. Or if you can afford to you could do this on two separate external drives. Personally, I use Carbon Copy Cloner for my bootable backups to a portable drive and Time Machine for incremental backups of specific folders on my mini pulling htpc/home server duties.