super fast ethernet speeds?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by RedCroissant, Sep 16, 2013.

1. RedCroissant Suspended

Hello all,

I don't think I'll be selling my Quad any time soon, so I'm trying to find other ways to increase the internet speeds and network connection in general. Eyoungren and others already suggested using ethernet instead of WiFi, but I was wondering if there was a way to bridge the dual ethernet connection to make one really fast ethernet connection and superfy my speed.

If not, that's fine I guess but if there is, then I would really love to hear it!

Also...would using an older router as an extender and then connecting the Quad to that via ethernet increase the speed over just WiFi? It seems like ti would depending on the transfer speed from the main router to the one I'd be using next to the Quad, but maybe not.

Thanks in advance for any help!

2. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

In most all cases, a hardwired connection will always be faster than wifi.

However, you will still never, ever, get anything faster than the slowest piece of hardware in your setup....

If you must stick with wifi, then make sure to eliminate all possible interference factors too...

Check the details on your OS to see if bridging is possible or if it would help at all.

So if its speeeeed you need, make sure all of the pieces are as up to date as possible, including the cables (Cat 6 or 7) software and firmware, and be happy :D

3. Wildy macrumors 6502

What you are talking about is known as link aggregation or bonding, and is an official IEEE spec (802.3ad). OSX 10.5 has this, however your router / switch must also support it. Unless you are running enterprise-class networking hardware however, it is very unlikely yours will be able to do this.

On the offchance it does, there's a guide here: http://phx.itwarriors.com/?p=68.

I should add, is this for LAN transfers, or internet? If it's the latter then nothing you do on your LAN will make much of a difference - your main option is investing in faster broadband (if it's available), otherwise you're SOL.

4. kaelwhale macrumors newbie

As Wildy said, gigabit ethernet will suffice for any home internet connection, but if you are looking to speed up LAN transfers, you can install a PCI-express gigabit ethernet card and connect that and the built-in ethernet port to a switch that supports link aggregation. Connecting more than 2 gigabit ethernet ports to the switch wouldn't make sense because the SATA speed in the G5 tops out at 1.5 Gbps.

5. WMD macrumors regular

The G5 Quad should have two built-in ethernet ports, so he can aggregate those together. I'm assuming his switch supports that, of course (it probably doesn't).

Either way, RedCroissant, if you're using wifi now, even a single gigabit connection would be a huge improvement. Try that first, before attempting anything serious(ly expensive). If running cabling is an issue, try some powerline ethernet adapters - they can't reach gigabit speeds, but they can beat g/n wifi handily, if you have clean power lines.

6. RedCroissant thread starter Suspended

WMD,

Thank you for your post! I am especially thanking you because once i got the PM, I almost completely stopped using my iBook and remembered that I actually bought a Netgear powerline ethernet adapter just for that purpose.

So I turned off WiFi and connected the powerline adapter and, voila, my DL speed doubled. My UL speed increased by only 2 Mbps, bt the fact that my DL speed went from 7 - 14+ is great! So thanks for bringing that uop and reminding me that I had the solution all along!

7. WMD macrumors regular

Any time! :)

You must have a pretty poor wifi signal if you were only getting 7Mb down. My 11g router can deliver at least 12 around my house, which is all I have from my ISP anyway.

8. RedCroissant thread starter Suspended

It's not really the signal; it's my hardware. My main machine is my PMG5 quad and portable main machine is my 14" iBook G4. the airport cards in those limit the WiFi to those speeds. I was even considering usb WiFi adapters(too expensive for me at the moment) and even PCI-e cards for faster speeds(same deal with the extra expense).

My wife's iMac has awesome speeds and her machine is in the other room and is still more than double what I'm getting via ethernet now on my quad. But better is better!

9. tidequwu macrumors newbie

yes, I'm assuming his switch supports that, of course (it probably doesn't).thanks
    [​IMG]