Super-fast Samsung 256GB SSD for MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Adokimus, Feb 28, 2009.

1. Adokimus macrumors 6502a

Adokimus

2. bbadalucco macrumors 6502

I tried to order RAM from this place last week, it was BY FAR the worst experience I've ever had. I choose next day shipping and ordered early in the monring. I then got an email notification that my debit card address doesn't match the address the bank has on file. Called the bank, they match, let Buy.com know via email...got an email back later that said the transaction had been canceled....but a few hours later my debit card had been charged.

You can't get ahold of them via phone, only email which it seems they rarely check.

Just my two cents.

3. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

I've ordered from buy.com dozens of times with no problems.

Don't know if that's the same drive, maybe someone with the new 17" can answer?

4. GUnnith345 macrumors newbie

The drive matches the model number of the ones selling on eBay with the super fast specs 220 MBPS Read, 200 MBPS Write

This is not the default 256 GB SSD drive that comes with the Macbook Pro 17 inch Unibody. The macbook comes with a Toshiba SSD with slower specs.

Looks like buy.com doesn't have this in stock anyway, but the price is definitely better than the ~950 on eBay.

5. NightSailor macrumors 6502

NightSailor

The new drive is a Toshiba. It has slightly better specs on paper than the Samsung. However Xbench preformance shows the smaller Intel 160 to perform better--but the later have some problems with fragmentation.

Toshiba is coming out with a 512GB drive in April. Nitro is coming out with a 1TB SSD later this year. These things will be dirt cheap in a few years and capacities are increasing at rate faster than Hard Drives.

6. GUnnith345 macrumors newbie

NightSailor, based on the specs from your xbench in the other threads, I think the Macbook comes with the 256 GB SSD on the second page of Toshiba's website here (http://www.toshiba.com/taec/adinfo/ssdfacts/). It's most likely the 53 nm version rated at 120MBPS read and 70MBPS write rather than the new 43 nm version with the 240MBPS read and 200MBPS write. The new ones aren't in production yet according to the website.

Edit: Choose SSD Product Guide from the Toshiba link to get to the 3 pages of products.

7. nippyjun macrumors 65816

At least we have an idea of the pricing on the samsung 256 ssd from the buy.com link. I wonder if they ever did have it in stock? Either way this should hopefully mean that they will be available from other online retailers soon.

Edit: I've google searched the model number daily and today is the first day that some other online stores list it. None have them in stock but they must be on the way. One store had it listed at $650. If it's $650 then all the other SSD's on the market at this price point or above are going to have some real competition.

8. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

The title of this thread reminds me of an eBay auction, LOL.

9. sam10685 macrumors 68000

sam10685

Why would anyone pay over 700 dollars for a hard drive that is just a little faster than a 7200rpm hard disk drive that is 5 - 600 dollars les and is bigger in capacity?

10. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

A little faster? Are you sure about this? :p

11. sascha h-k macrumors 6502

sascha h-k

every 2.5" hdd compared to the samsung 256gb ssd is a snail ... :p

12. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

not really no, most 7200K 2.5' HD's are pretty fast, wouldnt be that slower then the current SSD's

13. Inconsequential macrumors 68000

Its not all about transfer rates, its about latency too.

1ms vs 7.5 (for a 10k Raptor) vs 11+ for 7200RPM disks.

That <1ms time makes for VERY quick small file access times, meaning system boot, app start, general system usage is very quick and HDDs will never ever be able to come close.

Also you are more likely to max out the SSDs average read times as it doesn't have to move to each bit of data.

HDDS might have faster transfer rates in a sustained read (in some cases - the new gen SSDs kick HDs backsides) but when are you ever doing 200+Mb of sustained reads in non video coding environments?

Im hoping by the time the Mac Pro comes out there will be a 128+Gb SSD out thats < £300 and has blistering speed with no issues and it will become my system drive...

14. Daremo macrumors 68000

Daremo

No heat, no noise, no moving parts, and yes, they are much faster then the 7200 drives. MUCH faster. I've seen the difference in a side by side, and it's more then noticeable, to a point where I can see the cost being justified.

15. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

fair call, latency time is a pretty large area of interest these days.

me. im a general user (intense general user) and i constantly am checking file hashes, creating large dmg's, moving stuff from HD to HD, downloading large files then uncompressing them etcetcetc. im in it for the space, not the speed. my laptop is too slow these days anyway :p

would be nice, when the 512gb SSD comes out for $~200AUS ($127US) ill buy it :)

true, uses less power and all of that. but not always faster, reading and writing large files especially. i do move a lot of things. :p

16. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yeah why would someone pay $700 for drive that's twice as fast with an almost non-existant access time!