Super frustrated with iPhoto

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jsbarone, Jun 26, 2008.

1. jsbarone macrumors regular

I've been using iPhoto for about two years now, and have had nothing but problems with it. I don't like that it makes a duplicate version of a photo for *every change* you make to it, even something simple like a rotation. I don't like that it automatically embeds a colorsync profile into the photo, thereby changing the photo making it easy to import duplicates.

I know this can be turned off, but I didn't know that for my first 3k photos, and now I'm screwed. I've finally decided to switch to Aperture because of it's powerful features, and because it doesn't make new versions for every adjustment you make. I am, however, having one problem that I could use some help on. I've got a TON of duplicates. I lost some photos that I was really attached to while trying to remove duplicates on tiger. Somehow they went missing and I never found them again. Yesterday I noticed some more missing photos, so I took all of my Backup DVDs and imported them into iPhoto. Even though the photos were already there, it imported them anyways, so now I have 10.4k photos and movies. I went through and used Apertures powerful sorting features, but it doesn't delete them from the iPhoto library.

My wife still likes to use iPhoto occasionally, so I set it up so Aperture uses the iPhoto library. This also makes it convenient for us when we're importing videos from the camera. Aperture doesn't do that. So my question is this: How do I delete a photo in aperture and have it delete from the iPhoto library as well? Is there an easy way to delete duplicates that I'm missing? 7k photos is going to take a while.

Thanks,

J

2. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

iPhoto doesn't really work well when you attempt to manage the library of photos outside of iPhoto itself. You should really just import the images into iPhoto.

3. jsbarone thread starter macrumors regular

What? :confused:

I'm importing photos into iPhoto. I'd like to manage them with Aperture. I thought I made that clear.

4. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Ah, didn't catch the aperture thing (sorry, still morning for me).

Anyway, it is still basically the same problem. You can't really use iPhoto and Aperture at the same time while retaining the neat features of Aperture.

Here is a nice article on it.

5. aristobrat macrumors G4

I've seen nothing that automatically tells iPhoto to remove a file (that you've imported into it) when its been deleted from Aperture.

6. skybolt macrumors 6502a