SUPER FRUSTRATING experience with applecare

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by tarheel23, Feb 3, 2009.

1. tarheel23 macrumors member

I give up. People on MacRumors are too critical. A girl can't even vent her frustration.

2. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

It's not Apple, it's automated back-end systems and corporate procedures. I know it's not your fault, but that one switch with all the other stuff tied to the original purchase bollixed the whole thing up.

I went through an even worse nightmare with my own company changing a "simple" billing procedure. During training on how much better our lives will be, we (the operators) discovered about a dozen things broken with it. The response? "Well, that's the new way, you'll just have to deal with it."

You need to ensure that the entire story is tied to the open ticket/case #, and insist on Customer Care escalation, as the Level One drones can't get past the colored tabs in the official binder. You will get it straightened out, but I know it's frustrating. Just be glad it's not AT&T you're dealing with…

3. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

copy and paste what youve just wrote to an email to steve jobs

Steve@Apple.com
    sjobs@apple.com

Include any backup articles, references etc you may have

More than likely they'll take pity and sort all this out for you

This isnt usual for Apple.
    Also mention stuff like loss of education/earnings due to this etc.

4. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Why do you have to buy AppleCare with your own funds now? You have the default 12 months until you get the refeund back.

5. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Dude... you need to chill. They are giving you a refund. You don't NEED to buy Apple Care right this second. Wait till you get the funds back onto your credit card then repurchase it.

6. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

Go find yourself a good aftermarket warranty or add a rider to your homeowners/renter's insurance if you have such service :)

On a MacBook, the AppleCare is so much that it'd be worth it to have the extra coverage anyway.

7. wannabe07 macrumors member

Man, I would be majorly pissed if I were dealing with all of that crap. I'm a student too, and having trouble with your computer is the last thing you need. Sorry to hear it, but I hope things finally work out for you. :eek:

8. thebassoonist macrumors 6502a

thebassoonist

But if you were to file a claim on your homeowner's/renter's insurance, wouldn't that drive up your payments? I'd just go aftermarket or AppleCare.

9. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

You have 1 year

If you purchased your MacBook on launch date, which I believe was October 17th you'll have one year from the date of purchase to purchase and register the AppleCare protection plan. You can wait till you get the refund from Apple and then repurchase it.

10. staccato83 macrumors 6502a

staccato83

Oh boy... somebody call the waaaaaaambulance for this girl.

You have a full year to purchase your AppleCare. What is the big deal? Take the money they are refunding you and buy your AppleCare on eBay or Amazon; it will be cheaper.

11. Benguitar Guest

Benguitar

:D ROFL!

Agreed, Dude cool it. With in the first year of having my MacBook Apple had to replace the Hard Drive and my MacBook probably has over 50 hours of tests and diagnostics on it.

Take a deep breath!

12. tubbymac macrumors 65816

tubbymac

That sounds like a frustrating experience. I thought Apple computers have a 1 year warranty by default though? So even if your Applecare gets refunded you still have the remainder of the year for warranty coverage until you buy an extended Applecare plan again.

13. tarheel23 thread starter macrumors member

I wrote that whole long message right after I got off an hour phone call with them...I was frustrated and I had every right to be annoyed. I was just venting (which I'm sure all yall do) So right now, a day later, I'm more chilled out..I understand it shouldnt be that big of a deal.

I think not having my macbook with me was the most frustrating part. And also, calling applecare, and them saying they can't talk to me because the 90 day Phone support expired already and I dont have applecare....and having to explain to them again that I do have applecare.

I just wanted to get AppleCare asap just in case there's anything wrong with my Macbook again and need to get it fixed and have to call phone support (since its about a 20 minute drive to the nearest apple store). So I bought it off Ebay last night and saved $50 bucks. And praying that I never have to deal w/ AppleCare ever again.

14. wannabe07 macrumors member

Wow, some of you guys are real dicks. Ever heard of venting? I thought pretty highly of most of the people on this board, but not anymore.

15. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Oh the irony.

16. democrat2theend macrumors newbie

Exactly. You have a year to buy AppleCare from the time you buy the computer. Your computer is covered for a year anyway, so there's no extra benefit to getting AppleCare now instead of in a few months, as long as you don't forget before the year is up.

17. gamer2502 macrumors regular

ya i feel the same as you i love apple but lately there products have been getting lower and lower in quality and there customer support continues to get worse and worse i am seriously considering not buying apple for my next computer:apple:

18. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

Never-mind! I should have read the thread before posting.

19. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I don't really understand why people are getting on your case about your frustration with Apple. I think you have every right to be FUMING. Whether you need AppleCare or not for the next 12 months is irrelevant. The fact is that for those people who do buy AppleCare at the time of purchase, it shouldn't be so difficult to register the AC to the laptop. If there is an issue, it should have been sorted out the 2nd, 3rd, or perhaps at worst, the 4th call to AppleCare.

Unfortunately, JNB is right. Apple's system is entirely automated, and asking them to change the order isn't as simple as it seems. If it was up to the person on the phone to physically go to the back of the warehouse and change your order, then I guess you could easily blame the AppleCare people on the phone. However, for large companies like this, it's impossible for the customer service rep to ensure that things are done correctly, since s/he can only ask notify someone else to do the swap --- they can't do it themselves from a call centre.

Not for mine. If you (or your parents) have paid your homeowners insurance for a long time, and have never made a claim due to theft, fire, etc, then claiming for a laptop won't raise your insurance costs one bit. I almost had to make a claim for my own laptop once, and our rep reassured me that they'd never do such a thing to us (with our history of zero claims).