Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

unlokia

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 14, 2007
Hi guys!. Just in the process of creating a review blog for Macintoshes. I thought you'd like to see how my 2008 8-core MP scored in GeekBench with 32Gb ram:

http://themacademy.blogspot.com/

Please feel free to make suggestions regarding the blog. Thanks. :D

tobyg

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2004
What exactly is the point of this? A 3 minute video showing nothing but a mac pro sitting there, along with the noise of fans, of which I have no reference. I don't get what you're trying to show here. The fact that you can crank up the speed of the fans in a Mac Pro? To show that they are loud and noisy? Although I have no reference to know how loud they are, just that your microphone was setup to pick up the noise from the fans very well. Maybe you stuck the microphone inside the Mac. I have no idea.

I really don't see the point of this website or video. You promised some person at Kingston that you would 'review' their ram and post it to a website, a website nobody will find unless you advertise on forums like this. And I don't know what you're reviewing with the ram exactly. Are you comparing it to some other vendors ram and show how Kingstons is faster and better in some way? Are you just going to try to show how 32GB can be used, even if it isn't Kingston ram, compared to 2, 4, 8, and 16GB of ram with various applications? I don't see how that would directly benefit Kingston.

Not only that, but this person http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/view/68524 got a higher score with only 10GB of ram.

unlokia

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 14, 2007
What exactly is the point of this? A 3 minute video showing nothing but a mac pro sitting there, along with the noise of fans, of which I have no reference. I don't get what you're trying to show here. The fact that you can crank up the speed of the fans in a Mac Pro? To show that they are loud and noisy? Although I have no reference to know how loud they are, just that your microphone was setup to pick up the noise from the fans very well. Maybe you stuck the microphone inside the Mac. I have no idea.

I really don't see the point of this website or video. You promised some person at Kingston that you would 'review' their ram and post it to a website, a website nobody will find unless you advertise on forums like this. And I don't know what you're reviewing with the ram exactly. Are you comparing it to some other vendors ram and show how Kingstons is faster and better in some way? Are you just going to try to show how 32GB can be used, even if it isn't Kingston ram, compared to 2, 4, 8, and 16GB of ram with various applications? I don't see how that would directly benefit Kingston.

Not only that, but this person http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/view/68524 got a higher score with only 10GB of ram.

Sorry - hadn't realised that I was doing this to conform to *your* personal standards, mister random internet stranger person!. :D The whole point of the internet (I don't know if you'd realised) is that ANYONE can express ANYTHING and review anything they like; how I conduct my reviews, is quite honestly not a lot to do with you at all, now is it. If you'd care to do the review for me, I'll gladly sell you the memory I hold for £1,600 so that you can do a better job, huh?. ;)

If you HAD read my blog properly, you'd have seen that the review is incomplete... but you were all too eager to come back here and post your disapproval, after having NOT READ THE *INCOMPLETE* REVIEW PROPERLY. I suggest you go and bother someone else; not everything in life HAS to have a "defined purpose" that meets your very high expectations; it's a blog - get over it.

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
Sorry - hadn't realised that I was doing this to conform to *your* personal standards, mister random internet stranger person!. :D The whole point of the internet (I don't know if you'd realised) is that ANYONE can express ANYTHING and review anything they like; how I conduct my reviews, is quite honestly not a lot to do with you at all, now is it. If you'd care to do the review for me, I'll gladly sell you the memory I hold for £1,600 so that you can do a better job, huh?. ;)
From a previous post, I was under the impression your info on the memory was to compare various amounts (2GB...32GB) to give readers a gauge to determine how much they need.

Is this still the case? :confused:

unlokia

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 14, 2007
From a previous post, I was under the impression your info on the memory was to compare various amounts (2GB...32GB) to give readers a gauge to determine how much they need.

Is this still the case? :confused:

Indeed it is; please feel free to ignore the rantings of the previous poster; he didn't even bother to read my *INCOMPLETE* review properly. I wonder what part of "come back soon to find out how they scored, along with photos and GeekBench results" he doesn't comprehend?...

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
Indeed it is; please feel free to ignore the rantings of the previous poster; he didn't even bother to read my *INCOMPLETE* review properly. I wonder what part of "come back soon to find out how they scored, along with photos and GeekBench results" he doesn't comprehend?...
You might want to take a cue or two from others who have come before...:p

Wait to post anything until it's completed before you post. Some things can be broken into a few parts, but this one doesn't seem so easy to do that way. ;)

A simple suggestion that might save you some grief. :eek:

Good Luck, and keep us posted when it's ready. :D

Might I ask, are trying to enter the foray of online reviews/tech blogging as a profession?

tobyg

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2004

Please explain what your definition of 'review' is. I see nothing on there that indicates its a partial review, let alone an incomplete review. I see you saying you have a bunch of free memory, but absolutely nothing else. If it were 'incomplete' that would seem to indicate some part was completed, but not fully completed. I see nothing at all. Am I not clicking correctly? Is there more than you saying "I have a bunch of free RAM from Kingston, stay tuned and maybe I'll explain why you need a bunch of ram too."

So tell me, what part of this 'review' did I miss?

All I see is you trying to save face with Kingston. You took their free ram with the promise of a review. Again, I don't see how reviewing different amounts of ram from the same vendor would benefit that vendor in any way. If you want to make Kingston happy you'll have to explain why their ram is better than anyone else's and why we should buy their ram. If you just prove 8GB is better than 4GB, what does that really do to help Kingston? Great, now I'll go to newegg and buy the cheapest ram I can find, since all you told me was 8GB was better than 4GB.

And that's assuming you even tell us that. For now, your 'review' is nothing more than a statement. A placeholder for you to eventually maybe post some sort of review so Kingston maybe lets you keep your free ram.

Oh and why don't you try to remember the statement you attempted to point out to me...

The whole point of the internet (I don't know if you'd realised) is that ANYONE can express ANYTHING

Try to remember that when you read my post about your 'review' (or lack thereof).

unlokia

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 14, 2007
Please explain what your definition of 'review' is. I see nothing on there that indicates its a partial review, let alone an incomplete review. I see you saying you have a bunch of free memory, but absolutely nothing else. If it were 'incomplete' that would seem to indicate some part was completed, but not fully completed. I see nothing at all. Am I not clicking correctly? Is there more than you saying "I have a bunch of free RAM from Kingston, stay tuned and maybe I'll explain why you need a bunch of ram too."

So tell me, what part of this 'review' did I miss?

All I see is you trying to save face with Kingston. You took their free ram with the promise of a review. Again, I don't see how reviewing different amounts of ram from the same vendor would benefit that vendor in any way. If you want to make Kingston happy you'll have to explain why their ram is better than anyone else's and why we should buy their ram. If you just prove 8GB is better than 4GB, what does that really do to help Kingston? Great, now I'll go to newegg and buy the cheapest ram I can find, since all you told me was 8GB was better than 4GB.

And that's assuming you even tell us that. For now, your 'review' is nothing more than a statement. A placeholder for you to eventually maybe post some sort of review so Kingston maybe lets you keep your free ram.

Oh and why don't you try to remember the statement you attempted to point out to me...

Try to remember that when you read my post about your 'review' (or lack thereof).

You have, yet again, failed to comprehend such a simple sentence as: "come back soon to find out how they scored, along with photos and GeekBench results".

Sorry - hadn't realised my life involves reporting back to "sir" regarding all I do and say. Who DO you think you are, exactly?. I shall invite you to kindly keep your nonsense to a minimum, and step off my thread. When you're perfect, come back to criticise me. Until then, go away - you are NOT helping in any way, and I consider your "opinion" as null and void, in every aspect.

The internet is a far better place, without negative & unprovoked BS mongers like this ^^. Maybe you'd consider some words of encouragement for my enterprising idea; not particularly original, but I'm trying.

PS: I didn't see you being handed almost £2,000 worth of memory... perhaps your dumb enough to use jealousy as a worthwhile cause for your babbling, and this is why you put such cutting remarks on my work?. Grow up. My blog will grow and inform people for years to come, whilst in a couple of hours your meaningless drivel will have been forgotten about. Good intentions and deeds will fly in the face of petty remarks and jealous digs - I aim to succeed, with honest reviews and opinions, whereas you aim to bring people down through assuming that strangers are somehow answerable to you?; I pity you... DEEPLY.

Volante

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2008
Uhm, so I read "Super GeekBench score for my 2008 Mac Pro", click on the link and find nothing? What's the point?

:confused:

unlokia

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 14, 2007
Uhm, so I read "Super GeekBench score for my 2008 Mac Pro", click on the link and find nothing? What's the point?

:confused:

The *partial* review was removed until completed. I wasn't aware everything in life needs a "point"...

sash

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2004
Hi guys!. Just in the process of creating a review blog for Macintoshes. I thought you'd like to see how my 2008 8-core MP scored in GeekBench with 32Gb ram:

http://themacademy.blogspot.com/

Please feel free to make suggestions regarding the blog. Thanks. :D

With this grandest video you'd most certainly won the 1st prize in the Most Pointless Video Award. I doubt such award exists, but if they'll establish one, this video would be the absolute favourite.

unlokia

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 14, 2007
I would imagine Kingston would be interested in the "point" of what you're doing with a couple of thousand dollars worth of their property.
Of course, but I can safely say it doesn't concern you in the slightest, but I sure appreciate a quick visit from the morality police!. :D

unlokia

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 14, 2007
With this grandest video you'd most certainly won the 1st prize in the Most Pointless Video Award. I doubt such award exists, but if they'll establish one, this video would be the absolute favourite.

Well if it helps you to sleep well at night time, being all smug and superior... who am I to argue?. I am so glad you enjoyed my pointless video - if you had enough time to sit through it, then I can safely say it can't have been THAT pointless; try trawling YouTube for a few hours, and you will find a LOT more pointless videos... and sometime we find pointless and unhelpful posts in forums... but hey you already knew that huh?. ;). Simply because you don't enjoy a movie, the cinema wouldn't shut down on your say so, but I suppose you COULD try to persuade them huh?.

Anyhow - all the best with your policing of my thoughts and creations... I'll be sure to get back to you if it starts to get to me at all, thanks. :D

sash

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2004
Of course, but I can safely say it doesn't concern you in the slightest, but hey - thanks!.

I know, but hey -- thanks!

Seriously, you don't see much of such pure, 100 % uncut, straightforward, spontaneous absurdity on the web. Worth watching.

PS -- I'm still stunned to be honest. The only explanation I can find is that you've bought this machine without any clue about what to use it for... except for 'kicking the fans to full tilt'.

Fast Shadow

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2004
Hollywood, CA
This guy and the chick Macrumors gave a free iPhone to should put together their own site of useless reviews in which the reviewer absconds with the product.

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
unlokia is new to tech blogging/product reviews, and just recently acquired his Mac Pro. Obviously he's a happy camper about it. :p

Perhaps constructive advice would be more beneficial than just hammering at someone. :rolleyes: It may just help him develop his blogging skills, and via PM contacts, he expressed a willingness to learn. :) Everybody has to start somewhere. :D

unlokia, try taking a look at these and similar review sites. It may help you frame some ideas. You might want to pay close attention to the benchmark tools used. ;)
AMUG.org
Tomshardware.com
Anandtech.com
Barefeats.com

sash

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2004
Perhaps constructive advice would be more beneficial than just hammering at someone. It may just help him develop his blogging skills. Everybody has to start somewhere.

Hi nano,

You're right, everyone has to learn. My constructive advice would be the following: move this poetry away asap:

"Ahh the internet!. A melting pot of mostly genuine friendly people, occasionally spoiled and polluted by ranting morons, with nothing better to do than pour scorn on other people's ideas."​

... and start reviewing something, because without any content (except for the mentioned platitude and a bad video of nothing), without any single review of whatsoever there is no a review blog, -- and once you've got your first review, then invite people to read it. Not otherwise.

unlokia

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 14, 2007
Hi nano,

You're right, everyone has to learn. My constructive advice would be the following: move this poetry away asap:

"Ahh the internet!. A melting pot of mostly genuine friendly people, occasionally spoiled and polluted by ranting morons, with nothing better to do than pour scorn on other people's ideas."​

... and start reviewing something, because without any content (except for the mentioned platitude and a bad video of nothing), without any single review of whatsoever there is no a review blog, -- and once you've got your first review, then invite people to read it. Not otherwise.

So, basically, you want my personal opinions to become stifled and muted (not gonna happen) and you wish to write my blog for me?. I'll listen to sense, when it comes from sensible people. You can read - read the title banner - I say what I think, and I am proud of that; if you see red when you read my comments, then you obviously have a guilty conscience...

However, I wholly accept your point about not advertising the url until the reviews are complete... but then I reject it, because it's honestly none of your business what I do. :)

leighonigar

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007
So, basically, you want my personal opinions to become stifled and muted (not gonna happen) and you wish to write my blog for me?. I'll listen to sense, when it comes from sensible people. You can read - read the title banner - I say what I think, and I am proud of that; if you see red when you read my comments, then you obviously have a guilty conscience...

However, I wholly accept your point about not advertising the url until the reviews are complete... but then I reject it, because it's honestly none of your business what I do. :)

This is one hell of a thread. Hypocrisy for beginners. Anyhow, the point has to be - if you post something on the internet especially on a forum you've got to be able to, invoking a somewhat dated phrase, 'take it like a man'. You look a lot better if you explain and counter without getting petty. Clearly, if you post something on a FORUM you are making it the members' business.

Oh, as a casual thing, seeing as your header text will presumably be there a while, you have a typo 'INDEPENDANT'.

Good luck, calm down!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.