super glue + macbook pro = ...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thatshellacool, Nov 15, 2009.

1. thatshellacool macrumors newbie

hey guys,

have an early '08 macbook pro. like a lot of other people i know, i have an unsightly bulging strip of metal above the latch release button that has been driving me crazy for 6 months when it started to bulge. apple refused to repair because they said they were not aloud to do any sort of bottom case replacements under warranty because any damage or defect that it has would have to come from mishandling the machine.

through my research i've found people that have dropped over $200 for a bottom case and replaced it themselves. more interesting, i saw that a couple people superglued the bulging piece back in with some heavy duty super glue.

anyone have any experience with this? now that my macbook is out of warranty, i don't feel so bad about cracking this thing open. what are the chances of me doing this and royally screw up my laptop? do you guys think it would be a legitimate fix that would last for a while? would be amazing to hear from someone who have actually done it or any kind of super glue/macbook pro fixes.

thanks!!

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Personally I would not bring super glue near my MBP. I'd either live with the defect, or replace the bottom case as you noted others have. I can't see anything good coming from trying to put super glue in a computer.

Risks include, getting it on other components forcing the bulge back and breaking something. Also with the heat generated, how will that affect the super glue, make it fail, produce fumes?

If the issue is bugging you enough, don't try a half-a$$ed repair, do it right.

3. boatski macrumors regular

4. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...either do it right or don't do the repair at all...

5. wallaby macrumors 6502

wallaby

Heh, I have a slight bulge on the front of mine too.

Oh, wait, you're talking about laptops... :eek:

I actually do have a slight bulge on the front and side of my 2007 MBP ever since taking it apart to replace the hard drive. I figure the best way to fix them would be to take it apart again and make sure the case totally snaps back together this time, but I've been too lazy and it really doesn't affect anything.

6. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

can't hurt. just remember that it doesn't take much glue. I had to re-glue the power button on my mbp earlier this yr. I just used a little loctite stick n' seal (don't remember exactly but its max operating temp was WAY higher than ambient temps of the computer would ever reach). its been golden thus far.

7. thatshellacool thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks, i think i'm just going to take it off and look at it and judge for myself if its worth it or not. if not, hey, at least i would be able to blow the dust and cat hair out, so it wouldn't be entirely in vain. once i try it i'll let you guys know how it worked out :) thanks!!

8. m85476585 macrumors 65816

Superglue is bad for electronics. As it dries, it can make fumes that leave a residue on surrounding objects. This reside can make electrical connections stop working. If you don't use more than a drop, you will probably be OK, though.

A better adhesive might be epoxy. It is sold as 2 liquid parts, and when you mix them it is activated and it will cure to a very strong plastic. JB-Weld is particularly good for metal, and JB-Quick is almost as good and starts to set in just 4 minutes, and reaches full strength in a few hours. JB-Weld takes several hours to set (during which time you have to have the bulge clamped) and overnight o reach full strength. Expoxy will be a permanent repair, so make sure it doesn't keep you from taking the laptop apart if you have to make a repair. Using epoxy will probably void your warranty unless you don't use enough for them to notice.