Super happy with the Thunderbolt display!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Gregintosh, Apr 7, 2014.

1. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

So after extensively traveling abroad the last 18 months I am finally back home. Currently, I was using a Macbook Pro Retina which I bought when it was first released. Now I wanted to use a bigger screen, but at the same time I wanted to maintain portability for future travel.

After examining many more cost effective monitors (including an Asus for about $500) I came across an open box Thunderbolt display at Best Buy for $799 (was actually $899 but I negotiated down).

Well I bought it and I must say I am ecstatic with it! Its more than just a display. The charging being built in (so my charger can stay in the bag), the web cam, mic, AWESOME speakers, and its all connected with just 1 cable. Its just great.

I must say that even though I paid $350 or so more than a PC monitor that would have looked good too, I am glad I paid that extra money for the perks.

For those who are on the fence, I say get the Thunderbolt! I know there may be a new one coming out soon as its been a while since an update, but it doesn't matter. It has good resale value (if you decide to upgrade later) and maybe you will find that if its good enough you won't wanna upgrade right away anyway.

2. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Why don't you return it and buy one from the apple refurbished store, same price and you get a full 1 year warranty from Apple with option to extend it out to 3 years

3. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

and if you know someone who can get education discounts, they can purchase the refurbed display for an even lower price.

4. Gregintosh thread starter macrumors 68000

I would have done that but the refurb store does not have any available right now and I did not want to wait. I believe I get the 1 year warranty anyway with my purchase and it should be AppleCare eligible too (though I will decide if I want that within a year).

5. jenzjen macrumors 68000

You should double check with apple, lots of posts here and on internet where open box items warranties already started by someone else

The refurbs appear if not every week then every 10 days or so, sign up at refurbme.com to be notified

6. matrix07, Apr 12, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2014

matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

Attention to detail, eh? Can't wait for the new one this year! Like you said, It's worth some hundred bucks more than regular brand because Apple always sweat the details.

7. flynz4 macrumors 68040

If you buy a ATD along with a computer... then it is additionally covered by any Applecare that you purchase for the computer.

Unlike other "bundled" products (ex: Time Capsules)... I was told by Apple that the displays must be purchased on the same order as the computer.

/Jim

8. jenzjen macrumors 68000

not necessary, you just have to give them the serial of the display to 'attach' to your mac's ac

9. Gregintosh, Apr 12, 2014

Gregintosh thread starter macrumors 68000

Yep! If you think about it, $300-$400 is a small amount of money for the convenience you get. I'm now able to keep my charger in the bag, don't have a whole clutter of tables, and I don't need to purchase any external speakers to enjoy good sound, nor a web cam or mic for Skype, and it looks sweet as hell too. Not all blocky and office-y like most other manufacturer's models.

I realize thats a lot of extra money for some people, but I use my computer 8-10 hours a day for work and for pleasure so it makes sense to spend the extra money and really enjoy that time.

I wish they would put out a new one as this one has been out a few years, but I really needed something now. If Apple had a roadmap or some sort of concrete release cycle for these, I maybe would have waited. But the fact is we don't know if we'll get one this year or next year or two years from now.

Though if Apple does come out with a new one and its mega awesome (screen quality improved to retina for example) then I would consider buying that too and selling this one or letting someone else in the family use it.

But if all they do is make it thinner like the iMac but keep the same resolution, I will probably just stick with this one for a long time to come.

10. kyriostrife macrumors member

This is the main reason why I want it. I even have a 2560x1440 monitor that gives me issues with connectivity sometimes. And I always have to worry about cables. In fact, I took my macbook pro on the road with me for a week, and my charger was sitting at home, leaving it completely useless to me. I was literally thinking the same thing about how if I had the ATD I would just keep it in my bag instead. Of course I could just not be an idiot and not forget it, but that would be too much trouble for me.

I may just end up picking up one of the current used models when the new one releases, hoping they will be cheaper secondhand.

11. matrix07, Apr 12, 2014

matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

Likewise for my Mac mini. Coming from a self-built PC it's nice to not have an IR receiver hanging around my PC, a wireless keyboard that actually works and works well. A small, good-looking, well-built chassis is also a bonus. :D

Likewise again. I knew Apple will release a new Mac mini soon. It's getting long in the tooth but I need something now and don't regret it.

12. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I checked this explicitly... and was told that unless it was on the same order, it was not covered.

This is in stark contrast to adding an AirPort/Time Capsule to your Mac Applecare. In that case, it is covered on a Mac that is purchased within 2 years of the device... and is then tied to the life of the AC of the Mac.

In my case, my computer was already ordered (custom conflagration)... but they were able to add the ATD to my existing order.

/Jim

13. jenzjen macrumors 68000

call back and try someone else, we've done it for years most recently when our latest nMPs arrived once in feb and another in apr. each nMP has a display attached to its AC that was purchased on a completely different order.

14. AFPBoy macrumors member

How bad is the glare?

Hi guys,

I've been following this thread for a few days to see people's positive opinions since I would like to buy a Thunderbolt display for my Macbook Pro. I'm okay with having only USB 2.0 ports on the current model, but I'm concerned that the reflective glare will be a problem.

I have looked at the display beside a current iMac in two stores. The reflections are quite notable and definitely less on the iMac, however unlike the store my display will be in a room with just one incandescent ceiling light and some indirect sunlight from one set of windows.

Could anyone that had similar concerns before purchasing tell me how it worked out for them? I can wait until June for the WWDC to see if there is a new Thunderbolt display similar to the current iMac, but if there's nothing new I will have to make a decision whether to get this display or something else.

Thanks,
    AFPBoy

15. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

I never use the USB 2 or FW port on the monitor. I use USB 3 ports on the rMBP. If I need lots more USB 3 ports simultaneously, I would get a USB 3 hub. On the ATD I use a TB port to connect to LaCie 2Big drives, and the ethernet port to connect to my Time Capsule.

16. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Check your service eligibility at http://selfsolve.apple.com

Your warranty date will be based on the original sale date (of the person who bought & returned it, before you bought it as open-box). You can add AppleCare Protection Plan until the end of your warranty but you need to know when that is; it's almost certainly not a full year from your purchase date unless it was open-box just because it was a shelf display at BBY.

17. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

I sold my 24" iMac, but I'm keeping my 24" Cinema Display for the time being. We'll see if/how they update the Cinema Display at WWDC, but I don't have high hopes that whatever they release will match the latest 27" iMac form factor.

If I'm not crazy about the new Cinema Display, then I may wait for the next iMac refresh and pick up a used Late 2012 27" iMac and run it in Target Display Mode as a second display.

18. Gregintosh thread starter macrumors 68000

It says that Apple was unable to verify the purchase date and asks me to submit proof. I have a receipt which says I bought an Apple Cinema Display this last week at Best Buy (my purchase receipt).

Is there any reason they wouldn't honor the warranty for 1 year from my purchase date if that serial number is not in their system as far as being registered/purchased? All they would have to go on is the receipt I give them.

19. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Sounds like you're good to go!

20. Gregintosh thread starter macrumors 68000

Update: Apple has accepted my receipt that I e-mailed in and updated my purchase date accordingly, indicating the 1 year warranty. I also have the option to buy AppleCare for $99 and extend the 2 additional years. :D