Super-hot closed Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Singin Hobo, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Singin Hobo macrumors regular

Has anyone else had a problem with your MBP going hot while closed?

This has happened twice since I got my MBP, it's an early-2011 15" model that I got shortly after the upgrade. Both times there haven't been any major, non-Apple applications running. Both times the computer has been placed on a soft surface (my bed).
    I can't remember the details of the first happening, but this time I checked to make sure and the only open programs were Mail and Safari... iCleanMemory may have also been running, I can't be totally certain as I freaked out and shut down right away.
    After leaving the computer for about half an hour closed and sitting on my bed I've come back into the bedroom to find the fan blowing like crazy and it hadn't ever gone to sleep.

Is this a known issue? Any known fixes?

Edit: Other things: BT was on, with an Apple Magic Mouse on, but it hadn't been moved in any way. I have custom sleep settings and the computer was plugged in, and so the timer would not have been activated in the time I was gone.

2. simsaladimbamba

As the bed is probably a soft surface, the weight of the MBP has pushed some of the soft surface down a bit, thus probably blocking the vents (black hinge).
    It might have also done some indexing.
    And you don't need to shut down the Mac, as it will shut down itself, if it gets too hot. I once carried my MBP for half an hour running in an enclosed case and it got hot, but not that hot, that it shut itself down.

3. Singin Hobo thread starter macrumors regular

I'm certain that it wasn't indexing... I did manage to check that as I had a concern about that before, and I know why it got hotter than it normally would sitting on a table.

I guess I'm just curious about why it wouldn't sleep when closed.

4. simsaladimbamba

Does it have InsomniaX or Caffeine or SmartSleep installed?