Super Mega WiFi Internet MacBook Pro Problems

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hamsterz, Jul 7, 2010.

1. Hamsterz macrumors member

Hey guys.. I run a website that includes an internet radio show. Meaning.. that I have to have pretty good bandwidth to upload and edit stuff, broadcast, watch youtube videos, photoshop, skype, etc. (I do it all at once on a 2006 macbook pro with no lag, magical, eh?).. anyways, last month I was doing GREAT! I had 5500 Kbps according to Google and Youtube Speed Test..

this month, not so much. Takes well over 10 minutes to load a youtube video. According to Youtube: (while I was not uploading or doing any task that should hog my bandwidth like broadcasting)

Your average video speed at this location from June 07, 2010 to July 06, 2010 was 788 Kbps.

788 Kbps.. http://www.youtube.com/my_speed is my speed tester.

I've added ONE WALL. I have FULL WIFI bars.. from my airport extreme less then 50 feet away.

The wall shouldn't make much of difference, as I always go back and forth and the wall is my new permanent setup.. so its not because I added ONE WALL.

I did reset my modem and my Airport Extreme this month. Any suggestions? I cannot buy anything, and I do not want to flash any firmware, but are there any software fixes?

Urgent... thanks :) :apple::apple::apple::apple::cool:

Edit: Other test show that Im only at 290 Kbps download speed.. thats even worse. What use to load in 10 seconds now takes 5 minutes.

2. Xombie11 macrumors regular

3. Patrick Boyle macrumors member

• Set the laptop next to the Airport and run a speed test. Do you get your speed back? If so, it's the wall or interference.
    • If there's no improvement, connect your laptop directly to your modem with an ethernet cable. If you get your speed back, the problem is with the Airport.
    • If you don't have your speed back at this point, give your ISP a call. There's also a possibility something on the laptop is causing the bottleneck.

Good luck!

4. Hamsterz thread starter macrumors member

Already used Speedtest.

Also, no can do. I reset my cache yesterday.

I am going to go right up to the airport and do speed test right now.

EDIT: Tested it right by the base station (In someone elses office, cant put macbook pro there..) and it was 11.2 Mbps. Im now 10 feet from it, directly and Im at 6 Mbps (new location of desk). Tomorrow I will arrange the base station so its pointing directing at me and higher so I can get better bandwidth then 6 Mbps.

Again edit... I rearranged the airport and Im now at a nice 11.5 Mbps.