Super Noob Question ABout Hooking Up To TV

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by STidrvr, Mar 6, 2013.

1. STidrvr macrumors member

So Im still relatively new to the MacBook. To watch movies, Ive been hooking up my rMBP to my TV via the HDMI port. How do I allow the movie to play while keeping the lid closed. I looked though the setting and cant seem to find a setting. If possible though, I like to retain the setting for lid closure as it stands now, when not connected.

So is there a may to change the behavior only when connected via HDMI?

2. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I don't have a rMBP so this potentially might be wrong, but if you use a mouse/keyboard either connected through USB or Bluetooth, you can close the lid and click using the mouse or tap a few keys on the keyboard. This will activate clamshell mode. Basically clamshell mode disables the built in display and uses the connected external display as the primary/main display. I have done this using various MBPs but only through the MiniDP/Thunderbolt ports to HDMI, DVI and VGA. I can't verify if this method works for direct HDMI.

3. BigBeast macrumors 6502a

Yup.

More specifically:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3131

4. STidrvr thread starter macrumors member

5. Ipadlover29 macrumors 6502a

Is there a way to disable the internal screen without closing the lid? Only thing that has worked for me so far is using a magnet lol.

6. STidrvr thread starter macrumors member

What I have been doing is turning down the brightness on the screen and keyboard backlight to off.

7. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Yup, lowering the brightness all the way will make it look as though it's off.

8. Ipadlover29 macrumors 6502a

Pretty silly there is no simple way to switch off the internal display. I would expect something that costs $2400 to have this ability.

9. snaky69 macrumors 603

It does have the feature, in windows. That's an OS X limitation, not a hardware limitation. So you should be saying "I can't believe this feature is not available on a $20 piece of software". That changes the outlook doesn't it?

All seriousness aside, just go to apple.com/feedback and let them know, if enough people do it, they just might quietly implement it.

10. Toby Ziegler macrumors regular

Toby Ziegler

On a cMPB, Control + Shift + Eject will power down the display. Since you're using a retina MBP, I'm not sure what the key combination would be... There is an option under the Screensaver preferences to assign a hot corner to turn off the display.

11. snaky69 macrumors 603

Doesn't that shortcut put the whole computer to sleep?

12. Ipadlover29 macrumors 6502a

I tried the hot corner short cut. It put both displays to sleep.

13. Toby Ziegler macrumors regular

Toby Ziegler

Nope. I use it everyday when I leave my laptop at my desk. Just shuts off the display and the keyboard backlight.