Super pissed off.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by skysailing, Jun 26, 2012.

1. skysailing macrumors regular

skysailing

I recently had a problem with my MacBook Pro's screen going dark after startup. When I turn it on, the apple logo would appear but then the screen would go dark after. Without any clue as to what was going on, I went to Best Buy and had Geek Squad check it out. They told me that if I send it into their technicians that they would repair it and it would take 2 weeks. I sent it in.

2 weeks have passed, and I called Best Buy this morning to ask if my MBP was finished. They told me it was in the store and I could pick it up today. I went into the store and Geek Squad told me that the OS was fine but if I had any problems, I should do a reinstall.

As soon as I got home, I turned on my Mac and IT DID THE EXACT THING IT DID BEFORE I SENT IT INTO BEST BUY. The screen went completely black. This proves and confirms that they did not even turn the freaking computer on. All they did was replace the LCD screen.

If you are looking to buy a Mac at Best Buy and are planning to get Geek Squad technical support, don't do it. I can't even tell you how many times I went to Geek Squad for problems with this machine.

2. Rmafive macrumors 6502

Not sure if this proves that best buy didn't even look at your computer. They may have tried something that did not fix the problem. You would probably be better off taking it into an Apple Store.

3. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

Unfortunately, your first problem was stepping through the doors of Best Buy. Definitely try to work with Apple exclusively, that or a small Authorized Apple Repair Store.

How old is it? And would it be covered by an Apple store?

Also, I'd give the Best Buy a call and speak to the manager. Address the concerns calmly with him/her as soon as possible.

4. skysailing thread starter macrumors regular

skysailing

Wouldn't they charge me 5mill and a Manhattan loft to even ask them a question? I went to Best Buy because I have warranty with them. Warranty that is supposed to cover all of this without being charged a dime. :(

5. skitzogreg macrumors 6502

skitzogreg

No, no, no. Best Buy did everything they could to fix your Mac. This includes:

1) Sweeping your hard drive for viruses, malware, and personal pictures.

2) Optimized your registry by defragging your YouTube.

3) Placing it on a shelf behind the counter and running the Matrix screensaver to make it look like they are being productive (which sells Geek Squad plans).

This should have fixed the issue you just mentioned with your keyboard not lighting up in pink.

6. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

If you aren't covered by Apple, then definitely give the manager a call.

7. skysailing thread starter macrumors regular

skysailing

It's a 2010 MacBook Pro. I purchased it February of last year. Apple wouldn't help if I didn't purchase it there, right?

I already talked to some jerk at Geek Squad via phone and he told me that IF they made a mistake, I should go back.

----------

I plan on doing that as soon as I step into the store tomorrow. This is ridiculous and such a HUGE waste of time.

8. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do

This will tell you if Apple will take care of you free of charge. Granted, I've heard stories where they become very generous considering poor experiences at other stores... Something to keep in mind. Good luck with the manager!

9. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

I'm sorry to hear of your misfortune.

This is the precise reason I always buy AppleCare each year with my new MBP or MBA. Its the only warranty one can buy that sends the computer to trained Apple technicians. They have the proper tools, parts and depth of experience to do the repair, once, right.

Too many people assume that nothing will fail on their new Mac. Despite Apples stellar engineering & design, they still buy their parts in massive quantities from vendors. It's impossible for every single part to be perfect no matter what computer company we're talking about.

Sadly the "techs" at Geek Squad usually have little to no experience until they begin to work there. The pay is low, they lack special tools, and on and on it goes. The only good news, is now you know. Thats a mistake you're unlikely to repeat. It's live & learn.

10. skysailing thread starter macrumors regular

skysailing

Thanks for the link. Hopefully they are generous and thanks for the luck. This should be fun.

11. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I only buy disposable items from Best Buy
    If I am buying Apple, I buy from Apple, either online or at the Lenox Store

But you can take anything Apple to the Apple Store to have a Genius look at it with no charge whether you bought it there or not

12. itsamacthing macrumors 6502a

why would you trust some people at best buy to fix your mac? always go directly to Apple and always buy Apple Care.

13. skysailing thread starter macrumors regular

skysailing

I can guarantee to everybody that my next Apple purchase will be from Apple. I thought that Geek Squad would be everything and more in terms of repairing and fixing. This was my first Mac and i've had problems since month 2 of owning it.

----------

I'll go after I do a drive by at Best Buy.

14. skitzogreg macrumors 6502

skitzogreg

Fixed.

15. skysailing thread starter macrumors regular

skysailing

Why not? I was under the impression that they knew what they were talking about when I purchased the thing.

16. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

It doesn't matter where you bought it, you can always make an appointment at the Genius Bar at an Apple Store where they'll evaluate the problem free of charge and tell you what it will cost to fix. If it's too much, then you can leave.

17. skysailing thread starter macrumors regular

skysailing

there ya go.

----------

Scared of what price they'll drop.

----------

Alright. Thanks for the help all. I'm gonna hit up a bar.

18. Geo411m macrumors regular

I would NEVER take any computer to Geek Squad to get fixed. They don't have a clue what they're doing.

19. CausticPuppy macrumors 65816

Stupid question, but have you tried using the brightness settings? It sounds stupid but mine did the same thing for a while.... I was about to reinstall the os when I figured out that the brightness was being set to minimum, which turns off the backlight, during boot up. I felt like an idiot.

I am also not exactly sure what I did to fix it... But for a while I would have to manually turn the brightness up every time I would boot or wake from sleep.

20. G-Mo macrumors 6502

G-Mo

What Best Buy doesn't know about Macs you can just about stuff in to the Grand Canyon.

Seriously, I know a Geek Squad tech, he's a good guy and knows PCs inside and out, but they treat Macs like PCs and have no access to Apple diagnostics. Their floor staff don't know much more than what's published on the Apple website.

21. brentsg macrumors 68030

I think they're more likely to scour your computers for pics they can add to the hive's collection than they are to fix anything.

22. skysailing thread starter macrumors regular

skysailing

Well now I know.

----------

Yes I have. I even did some troubleshooting things from Apple's website. Glad it worked for you though :(

----------

I bought my iPhone 4S from them and had a small problem. Apple fixed it immediately by giving me a brand new one. Best Buy seemed more appealing when I bought the Mac.

----------

I'm almost positive that is exactly what they do.