Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PedroDias

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2012
For about 5 months now my macbook air (sep. 2011 13" 256 hd i7) is always showing this pop-up warning after some usage but i just can't read what's written on it. This warning is really quick, i think it's about less then half a second and i have no clue what it could be.
I don't if it is overheat, a virus or system bug but it just doesn't seem to stop. I'm currently using a mountain lion 10.8.1.
does someone have the same issue or one that is similar?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
For about 5 months now my macbook air (sep. 2011 13" 256 hd i7) is always showing this pop-up warning after some usage but i just can't read what's written on it. This warning is really quick, i think it's about less then half a second and i have no clue what it could be.
I don't if it is overheat, a virus or system bug but it just doesn't seem to stop. I'm currently using a mountain lion 10.8.1.
does someone have the same issue or one that is similar?
If your Mac overheats, it shuts down. It's not a virus, since none exist in the wild that can infect Mac OS X. Any trojans that exist don't produce the symptom you described. Under what conditions does the pop-up appear? "after some usage" is pretty vague. What app are you using when it appears?

PedroDias

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2012
that is what is causing me to suspect it is a virus. it's always at a random time. sometimes it appears when i'm at school where i use basically word and excel, sometimes it appears when i'm at home browsing and i can't really say after how long i'm using it it happens because it really is random.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
that is what is causing me to suspect it is a virus.
You can't have a virus, because a Mac OS X virus doesn't exist. Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released over 10 years ago. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which can be easily avoided by practicing safe computing (see below). Also, Mac OS X 10.6 and later versions have anti-malware protection built in, further reducing the need for 3rd party antivirus apps.
  1. Make sure your built-in Mac firewall is enabled in System Preferences > Security > Firewall

2. Uncheck "Open "safe" files after downloading" in Safari > Preferences > General

3. Disable Java in your browser (Safari, Chrome, Firefox). This will protect you from malware that exploits Java in your browser, including the recent Flashback trojan. Leave Java disabled until you visit a trusted site that requires it, then re-enable only for the duration of your visit to that site. (This is not to be confused with JavaScript, which you should leave enabled.)

4. Change your DNS servers to OpenDNS servers by reading this.

5. Be careful to only install software from trusted, reputable sites. Never install pirated software. If you're not sure about an app, ask in this forum before installing.

6. Never let someone else have access to install anything on your Mac.

7. Don't open files that you receive from unknown or untrusted sources.

8. For added security, make sure all network, email, financial and other important passwords are long and complex, including upper and lower case letters, numbers and special characters.

9. Always keep your Mac and application software updated. Use Software Update for your Mac software. For other software, it's safer to get updates from the developer's site or from the menu item "Check for updates", rather than installing from any notification window that pops up while you're surfing the web.
That's all you need to do to keep your Mac completely free of any Mac OS X malware that has ever been released into the wild. While you may elect to use it, 3rd party antivirus software is not required to keep your Mac malware-free.

PedroDias

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2012
You can't have a virus, because a Mac OS X virus doesn't exist. Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released over 10 years ago. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which can be easily avoided by practicing safe computing (see below). Also, Mac OS X 10.6 and later versions have anti-malware protection built in, further reducing the need for 3rd party antivirus apps.
  1. Make sure your built-in Mac firewall is enabled in System Preferences > Security > Firewall

2. Uncheck "Open "safe" files after downloading" in Safari > Preferences > General

3. Disable Java in your browser (Safari, Chrome, Firefox). This will protect you from malware that exploits Java in your browser, including the recent Flashback trojan. Leave Java disabled until you visit a trusted site that requires it, then re-enable only for the duration of your visit to that site. (This is not to be confused with JavaScript, which you should leave enabled.)

4. Change your DNS servers to OpenDNS servers by reading this.

5. Be careful to only install software from trusted, reputable sites. Never install pirated software. If you're not sure about an app, ask in this forum before installing.

6. Never let someone else have access to install anything on your Mac.

7. Don't open files that you receive from unknown or untrusted sources.

8. For added security, make sure all network, email, financial and other important passwords are long and complex, including upper and lower case letters, numbers and special characters.

9. Always keep your Mac and application software updated. Use Software Update for your Mac software. For other software, it's safer to get updates from the developer's site or from the menu item "Check for updates", rather than installing from any notification window that pops up while you're surfing the web.
That's all you need to do to keep your Mac completely free of any Mac OS X malware that has ever been released into the wild. While you may elect to use it, 3rd party antivirus software is not required to keep your Mac malware-free.

Thank you for your help! It was really useful!

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
I had this same exact issue on my MBA after I upgraded to Mountain Lion from Lion. Had absolutely no clue what it was because as you accurately said it pops up and then disappears so quickly.

This is how I got rid of it: Did a FRESH Install of Mountain Lion. Ever since then I've had none of those popups AND to make things even better I am now getting WAY better performance from the FRESH install versus the Upgrade route.

So my recommendation is to FRESH install Mountain Lion and you'll be good to go and probably get a noticeable performance boost as well. :apple:

Puevlo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2011
Could be a new type of virus that modern anti-virus scanners cannot detect yet. It may be highly sophisticated. I hope you don't do internet banking or anything on that computer.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Could be a new type of virus that modern anti-virus scanners cannot detect yet. It may be highly sophisticated. I hope you don't do internet banking or anything on that computer.
This is false. You have a habit of posting false and misleading information, so your posts are not to be trusted.

Spoonz

macrumors member
May 16, 2012
Thought it was just a glitch. I too have this problem, and while I only owned my 2012 MBA for a few weeks before moving to ML, I'm certain I didn't get the pop-up before the update. Happens so rarely that I've just ignored it though... maybe I'll do a fresh install if I can be bothered/it gets worse.

Wokis

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2012
Stockholm, Sweden
I have something like this. A popup that occurs for me while connecting to an FTP (through cyberduck) and also when using logmein. It looks like some sort of system message but disappears so quickly that I don't get to read it. Maybe something related to the firewall, dunno.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I have something like this. A popup that occurs for me while connecting to an FTP (through cyberduck) and also when using logmein. It looks like some sort of system message but disappears so quickly that I don't get to read it. Maybe something related to the firewall, dunno.

That is what it is. In your firewall settings there is a checkbox to allow signed software to go through the firewall. If you get a new version of an application you will get that popup saying a signed new version was detected and is being allowed through. I don't see it all the time though, just with a new app or a new version of an existing app.

JonLa

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2009
Most likely Java kicking in when you visit a website that requires it - our Uni VLE does this on Mac's....

karion

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2011
I tried to install a Keylogger for parental control, and after that I could not uninstall it. since that I have a quick warning for milliseconds, impssible to read.
I think it could be a warning message that I am running over monitoring program as the keylogger is the free version.
The problem is that I don't know how to unistall neither read the logs…
I tried two options: Perfectk Keylogger and Aobo.
I think is the problem is with the Perfect, and I don't know where are the folder…

Some advice??

Beachguy

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2011
Florida, USA
It's false to say there are no Mac viruses. It is also false to say you cannot GET a virus on a Mac.

http://www.thesafemac.com/there-are-no-mac-viruses/

http://drtech.bangordailynews.com/2...-myth-apple-macs-do-get-viruses/#.UrnZEepdUsB

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/...irus-indicates-mac-users-no-longer-safe/?_r=0

Macs (and other systems) were NEVER "safe" from them just because no one created viruses. To be safe you need to be protected, and Macs (and Linux) were wide open for a LONG time.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
A long time ago there was some sort of Mac virus that exploited the ability to automatically execute a program when a CD was inserted. Not really sure when this was, but I think it was before MacOSX. I do remember that I had the problem and needed to fix it. IIRC, it was pretty harmless (as viruses go).

karion

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2011
In my point of view, you just a have to be worried if somebody get access to your computer and discover your password, using it or through the network. And you must be the target from a malicious person.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
It's false to say there are no Mac viruses. It is also false to say you cannot GET a virus on a Mac.
There are no true OS X viruses in the wild. Yes, there were viruses in the wild that affected OS 9 and earlier versions, but not a single virus has appeared in the wild that affects OS X since its introduction over 12 years ago. Proof-of-concept viruses don't count, as they don't exist in the wild where a Mac user could encounter them, so they pose zero threat.

The only malware in the wild that can affect OS X are Trojans, which are easily avoided by practicing safe computing, as described in my earlier posts. No 3rd party antivirus app is required to keep OS X malware-free. No antivirus app can protect OS X users from a virus that doesn't yet exist, as they don't know what to look for. In addition, antivirus app detection rates are less than 100%. This was proven with the MacDefender malware, which no antivirus app detected as malware when it was first introduced, yet those practicing safe computing were completely protected.

No one who is informed has ever claimed that OS X or any other OS is immune to malware.

When the MR Guides are back online, read the Mac Virus/Malware FAQ for additional malware information. Until the MR Guides are available, you can read most of the same info in the Mac Virus/Malware Info post, on which the FAQ is based.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.