"Super" Retina Display Exists:

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Yellowstone2012, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Yellowstone2012 macrumors regular

Toshiba has a 720p "super" retina display at 367 PPI. It's going on to the Market this year. This display makes a four inch 1440 x 960 display even closer to existence. The four inch display said above would contain a ungodly PPI: 432.67. Developers wouldn't need to worry about size; its three times of that of the original, allowing for resolution independence "@3x".

Super Retina Display Source: http://www.ditii.com/2011/05/18/tos...-super-retina-display-coming-this-year-video/

2. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Can people please stop using the term 'retina display' to describe high resolution displays. It's a marketing term.

3. Yellowstone2012 thread starter macrumors regular

IMO, its just easier to call it that.....

4. AndrewR23, Jun 10, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2011

AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Nice. Even nicer that Toshiba announced it, made it, showed it to the public.

While this site is waiting for a non existent phone where no one has any proof it releases in September.

Edit...Kinda curious, Did any loyal Apple fans like myself not get offended by Jobs not even saying one word about the next iPhone? It may or may not release in September. What if it does? What if it doesn't?

Im telling you the truth, when I hold the side of my phone, the signal drops greatly. And my ears press hold or mute every day at least once.

Keep sending the negatives. Everything I've said is true anyways. Im hoping for 100 negatives please. :)

5. Gen macrumors 6502a

Gen

I'd love a 4" inch Retina screen on an iPhone...

6. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

So...BIG...so..CLEAR!
    [​IMG]
    First time I saw iPhone 4 screenshots like the one above I **** brix from the resolution. IMO I think it should be standard that the resolution is like quadruple the size of the screen in comparison.

7. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

I didn't get offended. The rumors of their not being a new phone at WWDC were getting more and more solid the past few weeks. Apple lives for the "wow factor" and I don't ever expect them to give us a teaser for new hardware 3 months in advance. It's very possible Apple is just now finalizing the hardware on the next gen iPhone.

Honestly from a marketing perspective I think it's smarter to release an iPhone in September. You get the initial wave of pre-orders and first day sales out of the way, the inevitable shortage hits, your shipping times are at 4 weeks. Then around November your shipping times drop to 1-2 weeks and BAM your xmas sales are through the roof. Mo money.

I hope the next gen phone is sporting a slightly bigger screen, and that link makes it seem as if retaining "retina" quality shouldn't be an issue.

8. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Reminds me of when people call hspa+ "4g". Pure marketing nonsense for the sheep :p

9. Michael CM1, Jun 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2011

Michael CM1 macrumors 603

If the iPhone screen's pixels are so small that the human eye cannot see them or whatever, what good does a higher resolution do? I get a larger display needing a better resolution, but what's the big deal of the more PPI?

It's why I'm a big fan of specifics. Hell, even "small" and "large" are marketing terms. I think McDonald's still does small, large and super size fries. Why is there a super size but no medium? Same with all of these companies turning a 20-ounce cup, which has been a medium for as long as I can remember, into a "small" drink. Then they switch all their combos to small stuff and ask you if you want a medium without telling you that it's an extra 60 cents for what used to be a large. ARRGH.

The AJC's iPad app startup screen added a new slogan, which is apparently a must for Atlanta media. "Credible. Compelling. Complete." But the iPad app doesn't have the COMPLETE AJC on it. Marketing people can be such tools.

10. Thedeathbear macrumors 6502a

Exactly with Verizon's LTE. It is nowhere near the speed to meet the definition of 4G.

11. dwnss macrumors member

12. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

iPhone traditionally use older technologies with high quality. There's no guarantee that Apple would use newer "untested" tech on their machines since it's all about juicing enough quality out of a "cheaper" product. Don't get me wrong, the iPhone 4 is an awesome piece of tech but it doesn't cost that much to manufacture and in the scales that it's produced.

Regarding terminology on display types, I figure any type of terminology can be used for any displays because all the systems don't make sense anyways. This dates back to EGA and monochrome displays which were absolute crap. 1080p doesn't really say a whole lot besides a vertical resolution and an image processing type which is progressive. It doesn't even give a refresh rate or a pixel density figure or anything of any import when looking at screens. It's all about the marketing nowadays and actual specs help much more than just calling something Super-califragilistic HAD Retina TruBlack Full HD. Basically it's all the same mishmosh until you take a look at the raw numbers. Even with raw numbers, there's still a huge difference in technologies and backlighting technologies which would cause differences in clarity, color, and depth.

13. klamse25 macrumors 6502a

klamse25

Who cares if it's a marketing term?
    It's easier and more efficient to call it retina.

14. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

So you'd want screenshots THIS big?

Attached Files:

15. Jagardn macrumors 6502a

I'm waiting for the "Hubble Display", its 12 billion ppi. Not even the Hubble telescope can make out the pixels.:rolleyes:

That's right, there is no point in getting anything higher. The same will eventually come of home entertainment. Once the pixel density is so high that you can't make them out when projected on a movie theater screen, there is not point in going any higher.

16. bizzle macrumors 6502a

Thank you! It's as bad as people calling LCD displays with LED backlight just "LED display". It's still an LCD.

17. 21ce macrumors member

100% agree! Why would people get upset from someone calling it that? Sure we could argue that we should call the ATT "4g" hspa+,but have you ever repeated that to yourself out-loud? Or in a conversation that doesn't involve other tech geeks? I see how high resolution display is a better description, but Toshiba would still have to call it "SUPER High Resolution display".

It's like a doctor using nothing but medical Jargon that you may or may not understand, because he doesn't want to use the common buzz words.

My point, if you're educated enough to know the real terms bravo to you... it's just sad to feel the need to be annoyed with others that don't know all the technical terminology.

18. harrisondavies macrumors 6502

harrisondavies

The point is, and Apple agree the human eye cannot see above 300 PPI, so what's the point of higher PPI's, none whatsoever.

Apple have hit the sweet spot, anything else is just hyped marketing.

19. canderton macrumors member

There is truth to your statement, but the reason this is news is because of the fact that it's 4 inches and can still be considered a "Retina" display because it's over 300ppi. If Apple had just simply stretched the current screen to 3.7-4inches it would have fallen below that point.

20. kfergiez macrumors 6502

kfergiez

I don't know... when I look at my iphone REALLY close, I can see individual pixels.

21. fungus macrumors regular

fungus

Or Apple marketing could just say that because the screen is bigger you'll naturally hold it a little further away from your eyes, and therefore it still can be called "Retina".

22. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Yeah, cos god for forbid you bother to learn things, that would be sad too, right? :rolleyes:

23. BlindMellon macrumors 65816

BlindMellon

The point (for me at least) is that Apple can now give us a 4" screen without everyone bitching that they've lost "retina".

24. 42streetsdown macrumors 6502a

42streetsdown

enough pixels is enough. unless we want to continue paying more and more

25. mysterioustko macrumors 6502