Super Simple Question...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by JReynolds, Jul 5, 2009.

1. JReynolds macrumors 6502

I'm purchasing a 13" Macbook Pro tomorrow. It has 160GB HDD which is the same as my current Macbook. I'm running Windows XP using FMWare fusion. I need to run windows for work/school and can't afford a single day without it.

I want to just swap out the HDD from my current Macbook to the Macbook Pro. Will there be any issues?
    I have a 500GB external hard drive and will back up before i start swapping...

Thanks

2. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Depends on which Macbook you have now. Unless they're the same series or very near, it's not generally recommended.

You can transfer is all with Migration Assistant with no issue. The VM will transfer as well--it should already reside in your ~/Documents/Virtual Machines directory which Migration Assistant would automatically include.

3. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

There will most likely be issues, since your current install of OS X includes the drivers for your current MacBook, and the new MBP likely has different hardware.

4. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Just back up your current macbook with time machine and then use migration assistant to move everything that you had stored over to the new computer. Everything will be there exactly the same as you had it before without having to mess with switching around the hardware.

5. JReynolds thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the advice. I never even knew about migration assistant! :D

6. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

It is awesome and a trouble free to transfer

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

7. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Yep, I have used it multiple times and it leaves your computer in the exact same state you had it on the original, all software, settings, documents, and data are exactly the same.